The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions. First, how many times can you reload brass before it becomes unsafe? 2nd, I went to bass pro shop and bought some cci large rifle primers and got some hodgdon hornady leverevolution rifle powder. Slim pickings at the store. Has anyone used this powder? I am reloading .30-30 for my marlin 336. Can I also use this powder and primers for my .44 mag? Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Depending on how your gun headspaces and the particular cartridge you can get quite a few reloads out of rifle brass. I've heard of more than 20 reloads out of some -06 brass. Belted magnums and over pressure loads will not help brass life. 30-30 ought to do fine with an intermediate sizing and keeping 'em trimmed. I have not used the Leverevolution powder but have used the Superformance. Just follow the recipes off the Hodgdon website and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx myfriendis410. This is the first time for me reloading. Is it possible to use rifle powder in a .30 carbine M1 even though its a small round?

G

·
Depends on how what why and where you are shooting. I know some guys that are shooting Laupa 308 brass and it is no good after one firing because they load so hot it expands the primer pocket and after that primers don't stay seated.

I have some 223 brass with 10+ reloads on it because I anneal after every other firing.

Annealing is a dark art and there are a million and 3 ways to do it.

The only gun I ever had that would eat brass like Rosie O'donal at a free all you can eat buffet was my 220 Swift. I would get about 3 loads before it would split the neck.

As for using rifle powders in a 30 carbine. Powder is specific to bullet and cartridge. make sure to consult a manual before reloading. Hodgdon is my go to for powder so here is there web site. http://hodgdon.com/ Use the loading data to look for powders you might like to use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx cpttango30, the powder I got only had 3calibers on the front of the label and .30-30 was one of them. I also have a lot of bullets that my dad had when he did this. They are loose and don't know the grain of the bullet. Is there a way to find out the grain my self with a digital scale? I measured the o.d. of the bullet and its the same as the .30-30 that I have already. The loaded rounds are flat nosed while the others that are loose are pointed with a small hollow point.

G

·
yeah just weigh them.

30-30 use round nosed or flat nosed bullets for fear of a spitzer or spire point setting off rounds in the magazine. The Hollow point bullets are for accuracy. I wouldn't use them in a 30-30.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Great to see you using all your Dad's old stuff.

If he has any old manuals I would replace them with one or two new updated versions. Some of the old data is obsolete and has changed over the years.

I would start with the Lyman 49 manual. I would also suggest you read the front half of your New manual(s). It will help you understand the reloading process and instruct you on just about everything to need to know to get started Handloading the safe way.

Good Luck and welcome to the Addiction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Steve, my dad had a rcbs rock chucker and everything that went with it. The manuals I have are speer and from the early sixties. Your right, it is an addiction.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Juststartingout, be sure you have SEVERAL good manuals, and read lots before you start reloading. You sound like you're really just starting out, so be sure and be safe. Load only what's recommended in the manuals, poweder and bullet combinations, start out at least 10% under the loads shown, and work your way up to a safe load in your own guns. Don't assume anything, and don't believe more than about 5% of what you read on the internet. Always check any internet load data against at least 2 good manuals. And welcome to the hobby. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I heard 2 things here, first the advice for the 30/30 that was given is all good and to the point but you slipped in the 30 carbine with the powder question and spoke of some what appear to be .30 calibre hollow point bullets . If you have a .30 cal. M1 carbine be aware that it has a VERY limited range of bullets you can use and none of them I have seen are of a "pointy hollow point" design nor do they tend to run over 110 grs. in weight so please be careful until you get your new manual. Read this and many of your questions will be answered. There are actual instructional DVDs out there that will help you to understand the equipment and how to set it up and use it as well. A picture truly can be worth a thousand words sometimes. Good luck and try not to get overly addicted too quickly.

10 Spot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts