The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting stuff, but I wouldn't shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel too much

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
About what I expected, but am glad that I read the article. I have done a lot of hunting with a shotgun simply because it is a do-it-all gun. Both of my boys, and I, have killed lots of deer with the lowly old shotgun. It will get the job done on just about any critter you choose to shoot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Back in '06 when I went thru the firearms instructor class, we tried some Hornaday SXT 12 gauge slugs out of a riot gun with rifle sights. They were about as accurate as regular rifled slugs. The big difference came when we tried both against a level II (used) Balistic Vest. The rifled slug stayed in the front face of the vest. The Hornaday went thru both sides of the balistic vest just like it wasn't there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As a slug gun hunter A group of use git together to see whats works and what does not. We do all see one thang thats does not change . Slug are as picky as .22lrs about what they like best even from the same high end makes like benelli. I have a mossy with a 24" slug barrels. All our slug guns are scoped. The one round they all shoot well enought is remington buck hammer. Shorter range round as it slower to start with and the larger flat front surface doe not help that but it does seem to be the best shooter consistantly. with 100 yard groups of 4" being practical. With sabots??!!. I use a hornady sabot , 1700fps 300 gr sst bullet . Good for 2 1/2 to 3" 100 yard groups for me. Better for one guys benelli worse in another. But with the right sabot 200 yard heart lung shots are very practical.

You just got to try some.

Buck shot? I reather use 1 buck down to T shot. Higher pellet count and pellet size and after growing up as a buck shot hunter killed way to many deer with 1 buck. If you own a screw in choke tube barrel the 1 buck in general holds a better pattern as the chock tightens up at longer dostance as with a full choke. O and OO buck tends to spread out thru a full chock tube as distance increases. 1 buck of the right make and lenght for your gun can be very diedly beyound 80yards. For home defence. T shot-.20cal, and 4 buck-.24cal, might be best as you still most aim your shotgun at short in house distance and do less damage as it passes thru walls.

To many test are restricked to only a few, very few shots sizes, and slugs/ sabot brands . No sabot is the best for defence . grab a rifle then.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Back in '06 when I went thru the firearms instructor class, we tried some Hornaday SXT 12 gauge slugs out of a riot gun with rifle sights. They were about as accurate as regular rifled slugs. The big difference came when we tried both against a level II (used) Balistic Vest. The rifled slug stayed in the front face of the vest. The Hornaday went thru both sides of the balistic vest just like it wasn't there.
Were you using the Foster style rifled slug? If so, I'm not surprised that it wouldn't penetrate. The solid (Brenneke) style probably would have penetrated the vest. See the data here: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=121485

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.