The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We use a shell with a tool called a Boulder Buster. A rock is drilled and then this tool is set in the hole with a shell. The hole is filled with water and when set off it it is set off it cracks the rock. The company has gone out of business and we can no longer get the shells. Is there a way that we could make these for our own personal use.

If someone could tell me if these 12 gauge shells are special and what Rimfire Primer this is.

Picture is attached.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
That is slick as greased owl -- stuff.

But that ain't a rimfire.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm a confirmed "tinkerer" and with my lifelong machinist/mechanic background I'd try and make some from brass 12 gauge shells and 22 blanks. I'd have to have an original case in my hand to see how it's constructed but the difficult part would be the load. How much, how "hot" would be pretty difficult to arrive at without some knowledge of the original shell's ballistics and the tool it's used in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a confirmed "tinkerer" and with my lifelong machinist/mechanic background I'd try and make some from brass 12 gauge shells. I'd have to have an original case in my hand to see how it's constructed but the difficult part would be the load. How much, how "hot" would be pretty difficult to arrive at without some knowledge of the original shell's ballistics and the tool it's used in...

I have attached some info on the shells.

Attachments

·
9,325 Posts
Hello,

We use a shell with a tool called a Boulder Buster. A rock is drilled and then this tool is set in the hole with a shell. The hole is filled with water and when set off it it is set off it cracks the rock. The company has gone out of business and we can no longer get the shells. Is there a way that we could make these for our own personal use.

If someone could tell me if these 12 gauge shells are special and what Rimfire Primer this is.

Picture is attached.

Thank you
That is a center fire.

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
In my mind the firing pin hits the primer "off center" the company calls it a rimfire but what evidence is there to say if the firing pin hit the center of the primer that you would not achieve the same effect (bang) just thinking...

So why not just stuff your 12 gauge in the hole in a rock, full of water, and pull the trigger :eek:
Ol Y's 1

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
In my mind the firing pin hits the primer "off center" the company calls it a rimfire but what evidence is there to say if the firing pin hit the center of the primer that you would not achieve the same effect (bang) just thinking...

So why not just stuff your 12 gauge in the hole in a rock, full of water, and pull the trigger :eek:
Ol Y's 1
It could be because the primer is a 22 rim fire blank.
There is also a model ( different company ) that uses 8mm blanks.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Can you imagine all the dumb people out there that would chamber one of those shells in a shotgun and then......
With the primer being off center there is no chance of some fool putting it in his shotgun and it going off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts