The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range this morning and as it has been the past few times, I took only .22 LR guns. It was a terrible day; I couldn't seem to hit the broadside of a barn today. I did not take many pictures because I was ashamed of the patterns, BUT, like I always say, a bad day at the range is better than a good day anywhere.

I took two rifles, the Green Weenie Walmart special (At-One Savage) and the Savage Mark 2 FV-SR. Four handguns, the Ruger SP-101, the Ruger Wrangler, the old High Standard Double Nine, and the Kel-Tec P-17.

I am still trying to find out what kind of ammo the green weenie likes, and it looks as if it doesn't like much of anything. I had so many Fail To Extracts, early on, that it just was not fun shooting it. My grandson took a cleaning kit with him and I used a .270 bronze brush and some SBGO and kind of reamed / cleaned the chamber out as best I could. The FTE's slowed down but still had one in every 10 round magazine. The FV-SR shot great as usual with CCI standard velocity and did really good with some CCI Suppressor Clean-22 that I got from the CCI website.

After about an hour of me having to push the brass out with a rod, we decided to go over to the pistol range and play with the pistols. Didn't do all that much better over there. I did take a couple of pictures there since I said in John's Wrangler thread that I would. We were shooting at about 7 or 8 yards, best I could figure (8 long paces). Started out with the Wrangler, took a picture and then shot the Double Nine and took a picture. Here they are:

Wrangler
Air gun Wood Orange Trigger Shotgun

Double Nine:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

If there is anything that I don't like about the Wrangler, it is that the rear sights are pretty bad (tiny), at least for my eye. The sights on the High Standard are so much better. Both of these were shot with CCI Mini Mags. I did a whole lot better with the pistols than the rifles, but then 8 yards is a little closer than 50 yards.

The other two pistols showed about the same results in bullet placement as these two, so I just did not take pictures.

I stopped by my LGS on the way home and asked him to look for an M1A for me and to call me if he finds one.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Maybe the moon was off today. Too much coffee? Stars out of alignment?

I shot some round two test loads the other week that were worse than the round one ones that were shot a few weeks before on a windy day. One strings loads duplicated the best from round one. No wind. I dont want to talk about the group sizes.

Reactions: Virginia Patriot

·
GUNZILLA
8,957 Posts
I tried going the last couple of days, I must be getting old because this heat kicked my butt and I refuse to get up real early to beat the heat.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I owned several Hi-Std D9s. I bought one new in 60s. Trouble was I had owned a S&W K22 for a couple years prior. I haven’t owned a Wrangler yet but have shot 3 of them. Both D9 and Wrangler are limited by crude sights. I started life with Ruger Single-6 before adj sights. This gun was a target pistol compared to my buddies H&Rs, IJs and imported Colt clones. The D9s wouldn’t shoot with S-6s.
OPs 8yd targets not at all bad for both guns, they are plinkers not target grade.
I like the Wrangler and would buy one if I wanted a SA 22. My nephew just bought one and wants me to put a set of sights on it. I will but am going to rest it and make sure it groups before going to the trouble. I have Colt Scout that I put sights on that took it from plinker to useful small game shooter. Many 22 handguns are limited by crude sights.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
At the cost of production it is not reasonable to expect every wrangler to shoot up to single six standards. Some will surprise with the accuracy but I suspect most will be moderately accurate. Haven't really done any accuracy testing per say but have no problem making a coke can dance at 20 yards. Everyone has their priorities but the time and money putting adjustable sights on these little cheap plinkers is like making a mount for a SKS and putting Swarovski scope on it. To each their own ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
At the cost of production it is not reasonable to expect every wrangler to shoot up to single six standards. Some will surprise with the accuracy but I suspect most will be moderately accurate. Haven't really done any accuracy testing per say but have no problem making a coke can dance at 20 yards. Everyone has their priorities but the time and money putting adjustable sights on these little cheap plinkers is like making a mount for a SKS and putting Swarovski scope on it. To each their own ;)
No it’s not. Doesn’t take much trouble to put adj sights out of parts bin on revolvers. Fronts off many 22rifles, type held on with screw are easy adaptable. I like steel so I can solder them on. Rear sight has all kinds of options. Under right luck a couple hours work. I have already picked out the front. A Savage 340 rifle sight, will be a sweat on. I don’t have Wrangler here so ain’t picked out a rear yet. I do agree that if you had to buy sights and pay to have work done it wouldn’t make sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts