The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the last of the rimfire photos. Hope everyone enjoyed. With ammo either hard to find or too costly to purchase I am filling in with photography. Who doesn't like the 22? I don't know of anyone who doesn't. Look at what's happening in the 22 Caliber Shooting Competition world.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
That '.22 Aguila' is either a Colibri or Super Colibri. Both are SLOW (375 and 500 fps I think), but the normal Colibri doesn't have any powder I don't believe and they like you to run those through a short barrel to avoid a squib. It's probably a wise practice for both of the loads. All Aguilas don't have that conical point though. They also sell some rather normal looking rounds. Sorry, I had to point that out, pardon the pun. The only one that I don't have on-hand and have never shot is the .22 BB Cap. In fact, I'm not sure I knew that such a thing existed, so thanks for sharing! :)

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That '.22 Aguila' is either a Colibri or Super Colibri. Both are SLOW (375 and 500 fps I think), but the normal Colibri doesn't have any powder I don't believe and they like you to run those through a short barrel to avoid a squib. It's probably a wise practice for both of the loads. All Aguilas don't have that conical point though. They also sell some rather normal looking rounds. Sorry, I had to point that out, pardon the pun. The only one that I don't have on-hand and have never shot is the .22 BB Cap. In fact, I'm not sure I knew that such a thing existed, so thanks for sharing! :)
Thanks for sharing the info about the Aguila/Colibri. And in case you that you did not know, Colibri is the Spanish and Italian word for Hummingbird. Got into cartridge collecting during the pandemic to occupy some of time and have had fun with it. Small collection; nothing impressive but enjoyable. Since I am a devoted CCI user I would not get around to using Aguila ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
What is the purpose of those two stubby little fellas on the far right?

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="WillieB, post: 2267453, member: 79974
[/QUOTE]
WillieB, those two stubby little fellas on the far right are "parlor" rounds. They were made to shoot indoors. Low report; not much muzzle velocity or energy. A family could gather in the basement, put up a small target with a bullet catching backstop and fire away. Great anytime of the year and especially great in the wintertime when the weather was too nasty to go hunting. Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad and the kids could all have fun without blowing out the eardrums. The one on the far right is still being made; if my memory serves me right they are made somewhere in Europe and they are surprisingly expensive. They are called Breach Bullets (BB).

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
[QUOTE="WillieB, post: 2267453, member: 79974
WillieB, those two stubby little fellas on the far right are "parlor" rounds. They were made to shoot indoors. Low report; not much muzzle velocity or energy. A family could gather in the basement, put up a small target with a bullet catching backstop and fire away. Great anytime of the year and especially great in the wintertime when the weather was too nasty to go hunting. Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad and the kids could all have fun without blowing out the eardrums. The one on the far right is still being made; if my memory serves me right they are made somewhere in Europe and they are surprisingly expensive. They are called Breach Bullets (BB).
[/QUOTE]

Wait.... So you’re saying I could buy these and shoot them inside my house? Would you need any sort of special backstop or would something like a styrofoam archery target cube be enough to stop them?

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait.... So you’re saying I could buy these and shoot them inside my house? Would you need any sort of special backstop or would something like a styrofoam archery target cube be enough to stop them?
[/QUOTE]
That is how these rounds are marketed. Small bullet traps should be available to catch them indoors or outdoors. I do not have personal experience with these rounds but they were used for a long time and since they are still being made I expect that they can be used indoors. I do not know of any pistol for them; only single shot or revolvers, Should you try them be SURE that the weapon you are using is known to fire these rounds safely. I would first try them outside to hear how loud they are; first with hearing protection then without if the report is not too loud. My understanding is that they have about 3 to 4 grains of powder which is just enough to get them to fire and send the bullet down range with not a lot of punch. They were also used outside to scare pesky critters; mostly squirrels. Any cartridge is potentially dangerous so care MUST always be taken.

·
Registered
260 Posts

.22 LR and .22 Extra Long

And for indoor, there are also these-

With the case of a .22 long, 29 gr bullet, very low powder charge- and at 30 ft, a tack driver. Extremely quiet, will not cycle most autos. But I have a couple of ancient Remington 550-1s that WILL cycle them semi auto. Quieter than LR rounds with a silencer.

And there are THESE:

Which DO NOT interchange with the usual 22s. There was also a rather scarce .22 Remington Auto, the .22 Special, the .22 Winchester Rimfire and the .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum.

Am still looking for one round of .22 ILARCO for my collection. Left to right- 22 Mag, 22 Ilarco. .22 ILARCO, 22 LR.

The ILARCO is a .22 Magnum Short, created for the American 180 submachine gun.

·
Banned
804 Posts
And please I don't want to threadjack you or cause you to jump your guns but...

Daisy caseless .22 ammo

.22 shotshells

Rolin whites influence

Heeled bullets

Flobert BB caps to White's S&W 1857 one piece monolithic self contained rimfire primed metallic cartridge for use with a bored through cylinder on a revolver and the subsequent patent infringement wars and lawsuits and clones and work arounds...

5.6×15R – metric designation

.22 pin fire or cupfire or other ignition primer strike systems that ultimately failed

J. Stevens contribution via AT&T

BSA merit badge influence

The Greenhill formulas impact on barrel architecture and internal design elements

5mm remington magnum rimfire

Etc...

Very exciting

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like watching the videos of guys shooting long range with .22s . Amazing !
Yes soonerfan66, long range .22 caliber shooting is Amazing. If you get a chance look up some Vudoo rifle shooting on YouTube. This rifle is really taking hold in the .22 competitive shooting world.

Never leave out the .22 Extra Long Rifle cartridge - .22 xl for those who may never have heard of such a thing (see attached picture as an example)

Thanks.
Hello MRMIKE08075. I would have included a .22 Extra Long Rifle cartridge if I had one. My collection is quite small and I did not run across the .22 Extra Long.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The CB and BB were also used in the "gallery guns". The shooting galleries at fairs, carnivals and such.

The Colibri actually shoot very well in a Ruger Single Six and offer good practice.

Though quieter than standard .22LR, hearing protection is recommended, especially indoors.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The CB and BB were also used in the "gallery guns". The shooting galleries at fairs, carnivals and such.

The Colibri actually shoot very well in a Ruger Single Six and offer good practice.

Though quieter than standard .22LR, hearing protection is recommended, especially indoors.
Yes, seedycharacter, I am old enough to remember gallery guns. I am also old enough to realize that the main reason I could not hit the targets is that the sights were "enhanced" in such a way as to prevent accuracy. And I could not afford to keep shooting until I had figured things out. Hey but to a 6 year old kid, shooting anything whether or not you hit it was good enough at the time. Hearing protection is always recommended even though these rounds were powered only with priming compound in the rim; no powder. Ah, the good ole days of yore!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
About .22 "long range" shooting. Not really "long range," but I posted on the Forum not to be mentioned about shooting floating leaves on my backyard pond, with a SAA 7 1/2" barrel revolver at 75-100 yards. Double hold grip, supported off the top of a deck post, taking my time, a couple of ranging shots, then on it.

I was roundly ridiculed. "That's Impossible, BS, etc." I regularly shoot handguns off my elevated bavk porch(by 4-5 levels) down in to the backyard mountain pond. 75-100 yards is normal distance. Still take random pot shots from a couple of my Trolls over that post.

Not incredibly difficult either. I'm still shaking my head over taking so much grief and ridicule over that post.

Reactions: Empty_Holster

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ken- I used to shoot a marlin 39A (I was a teen) target was a 4 inch fence post, in front of a dumptruck load of white sand. Shooting sitting, iron sights, 165 yards (google earth lets you measure stuff really easy) Could tell when I hit, because you could hear bullet hit the post. Miss and hit sand, no sound.

Mr Mike mentioned some other ignition systems- one WAS a rimfire- but only had a rim on one part of the case- the Allen Lipfire.

·
Registered
435 Posts
About .22 "long range" shooting. Not really "long range," but I posted on the Forum not to be mentioned about shooting floating leaves on my backyard pond, with a SAA 7 1/2" barrel revolver at 75-100 yards. Double hold grip, supported off the top of a deck post, taking my time, a couple of ranging shots, then on it.

I was roundly ridiculed. "That's Impossible, BS, etc." I regularly shoot handguns off my elevated bavk porch(by 4-5 levels) down in to the backyard mountain pond. 75-100 yards is normal distance. Still take random pot shots from a couple of my Trolls over that post.

Not incredibly difficult either. I'm still shaking my head over taking so much grief and ridicule over that post.

There is always one, sometimes more, who that insist on ridiculing. Ignore them. They call BS, because they know they can't, therefore nobody can.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I pretty much called that out seedycharacter. (And) Took even more abuse. Personally, I didn't think it was anything special, much less ridicule level bragging.

I said, "Perhaps some here need to try shooting handguns beyond the normal 15-25 yards." Took abuse for that also. Those posts pretty much explain why I am here, amongst many other similar. I've got no time for that BS.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts