The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a photograph I hope that members of TFF will enjoy. As you can see the common feature is that they are all rimmed cartridges who seem to have a way of driving engineers "bounce off the walls". Designing rifles to use them seems to be a bit of a nightmare. Yet each cartridge has its devoted followers. Which is your favorite and why? Share your secret(s).

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
My favorite is one I don't see. The 30-30. Very simple to load. Lots of bullets to try, jacketed or cast. Though not a tackdriver (at least mine aren't) but lots of inexpensive fun shooting. (In normal times of course).
My second would be the .444 but it's not in the photo either.:(

Reactions: jsjj388

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My favorite is one I don't see. The 30-30. Very simple to load. Lots of bullets to try, jacketed or cast. Though not a tackdriver (at least mine aren't) but lots of inexpensive fun shooting. (In normal times of course).
My second would be the .444 but it's not in the photo either.:(
Sorry did not have either the 30-30 nor the .444 in my small collection. Maybe I can find some.

·
Registered
18,082 Posts
Here is a photograph I hope that members of TFF will enjoy. As you can see the common feature is that they are all rimmed cartridges who seem to have a way of driving engineers "bounce off the walls". Designing rifles to use them seems to be a bit of a nightmare. Yet each cartridge has its devoted followers. Which is your favorite and why? Share your secret(s).

View attachment 248164
218 bee got me into reloading when I was given a set of dies with a rifle purchase. Great paper target puncher..super accurate.

Of those listed, 45-70 would be the most useful to me.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
.220 Swift (semi rimmed) was light years ahead of it's time.
You mentioning the .220 Swift takes me back to my childhood when I would read all Dad's old gun magazines and my favorites "Cartridges of the World" I was amazed at the writers reports on that cartridge. I liked the .22 Hornet because the name sounded cool but the .220 Swift was said to be the DADDY. I however never acquired one.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
You mentioning the .220 Swift takes me back to my childhood when I would read all Dad's old gun magazines and my favorites "Cartridges of the World" I was amazed at the writers reports on that cartridge. I liked the .22 Hornet because the name sounded cool but the .220 Swift was said to be the DADDY. I however never acquired one.
I had a Ruger m77 tang safety with the heavy varmint bbl fall into my lap. I got it up and running, bore sighted, and tried it out at a friends range on his steel targets. He still gives me a hard time about the holes I punched in it.:)
Gunsmith Mike McCabe in CO and I, have already discussed a re-barrel to one of the .220 Swift AI versions he's been doing with a tighter 1-9 twist. He's got some impressive results with 69grn BTHP's.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I had a Ruger m77 tang safety with the heavy varmint bbl fall into my lap. I got it up and running, bore sighted, and tried it out at a friends range on his steel targets. He still gives me a hard time about the holes I punched in it.:)
Gunsmith Mike McCabe in CO and I, have already discussed a re-barrel to one of the .220 Swift AI versions he's been doing with a tighter 1-9 twist. He's got some impressive results with 69grn BTHP's.
Sounds like one of my dream guns. Especially a Ruger m77 flat bolt tang safety rifle. I have one but it's not in .220 Swift.:cry:

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey TRAP55, good luck with the new barrel. The 220 Swift continues to impress.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I have to wear this one out first! Looking at your pics made me think of all the wildcats that were made from them. Jack Blake I mentioned in your other thread, was a single shot fanatic, two 40 gun safes packed full. I shot a number of his HiWalls chambered in .22 and .25Krag, .25/303, etc, but the one that really impressed me was a .219 Zipper improved. HiWall with a single set and Lyman target scope, that thing was the Grim Reaper on the ground squirrel population.

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
Of those shown the 45-70, (definitely NOT with the bullet it's loaded with in the picture), and 7 X 57R pique my interest the most. I shot the old 45-70 for well over 20 years and had a 7 X 57R in an Immanuel Meffert drilling that was pretty much my constant companion on the farm the last 10 or so years before we sold out..

None of my current "favorites", (if I dare use that word for fickle me), are shown.

Designing rifles for them must be a nightmare for only American designers. The British and Germans haven't had any difficulties for well over a hundred years. Most of their cartridges have both a rimless and rimmed version. The 7 X 57R shown being a prime example. I have more than a couple in my stables.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have a nice Mk 4 from my Dad. Great rifle and shooter.
A ways back I scored a couple cases of .303 cheap and got into taking this out a couple times a year.
One of the best Military bolt action rifles some say and I agree.

·
Registered
18,082 Posts
Of those shown the 45-70, (definitely NOT with the bullet it's loaded with in the picture), and 7 X 57R pique my interest the most. I shot the old 45-70 for well over 20 years and had a 7 X 57R in an Immanuel Meffert drilling that was pretty much my constant companion on the farm the last 10 or so years before we sold out..

None of my current "favorites", (if I dare use that word for fickle me), are shown.

Designing rifles for them must be a nightmare for only American designers. The British and Germans haven't had any difficulties for well over a hundred years. Most of their cartridges have both a rimless and rimmed version. The 7 X 57R shown being a prime example. I have more than a couple in my stables.
Agreed on the 45-70 projectile. My favorite is lead colored, has a good meplat, and has lube grooves. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
Agreed on the 45-70 projectile. My favorite is lead colored, has a good meplat, and has lube grooves. ;)
Ditto with that!!

Have a nice Mk 4 from my Dad. Great rifle and shooter.
A ways back I scored a couple cases of .303 cheap and got into taking this out a couple times a year.
One of the best Military bolt action rifles some say and I agree.

View attachment 248339
mrhonda, after WWI it was said, by whom I can't recall, that the Americans had the best target rifle in the 03. The Germans had the best hunting rifle in the 98 and the British had the best battle rifle in the SMLE. I'm rather inclined to agree as well.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
My favorite rimmed round has to be the 7.62x54r because that's what I shoot the most of but I just found a round at the range that has peaked my interest as I learned more about it. It was found laying on the range with a dented primer, as I looked at it first thought was it was a 7.62x54r but as I looked at it it had the German eagle/swastika so I knew it wasn't Russian.
After asking around I found out it was a 8x56r originally an Austrian round. For me a good antique round to put up on my reloading shelf.
I pulled the projectile, dumped the powder it was a course flake powder. I heated the bottom of the case until the berdan primer popped. I tried to save & replace the primer cap but it was too distorted after blowing out so I found a old shot large primer & mashed out the dot in the fired primer cup. Then reset it in the primer hole with a little drop of glue, then reset the bullet to the same depth it was set originally.
I then polished it up with some 0000 steel wool. It looks great now & will set on my reloading shelf as a conversation piece.

image posting

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
Historic old cartridge. Not real well known stateside. Cool find, well done!

Reactions: TRAP55

·
Super Moderator
41,631 Posts
I sent two "clips" of those Nazi rounds to 2A-Jay a few months ago when he was looking for ammo for his display.

Of those shown the 45-70, (definitely NOT with the bullet it's loaded with in the picture), and 7 X 57R pique my interest the most.
That 45/70 round, in his picture, has a Hornady LEVERevolution bullet sitting on it.

·
Registered
18,082 Posts
I like the rever revolution as a concept and for safety..im just too spoiled on commercial or home cast fat meplat lead bullets now.
Been a good while since I loaded a jacketed bullet. Probably since early 2020 covid lockdown and " job vacation" last March.

·
Super Moderator
41,631 Posts
I have a box of them somewhere in my gun cabinet that I bought several years ago, just never shot them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts