The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20-ga pump shotgun for home defense. Would a riot shotgun be better? Are they legal?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
As long as the barrel remains longer than 18 inches and the OAL remains longer than 27 inches youre legal.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
describe riot gun.

as long as it is not a unregistered SBS it will be fine..e tc.. ( or something like a spas15 :) )

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have a 20-ga pump shotgun for home defense. Would a riot shotgun be better? Are they legal?
Anything you can buy at a gunshop will be legal, even the black ones with pistol grips, and assorted "tactical" stuff hanging off them. At least for now. ;)

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
If I were to use something like shotgun shells for home defense I'd get a Taurus Judge with .410 shells. I don't think I want to blast off inside the house with my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot at 12 pellets per shell at a distance of no more than 20 ft. I'm better off to fire a few rounds from my .45

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
20ga. No problem using it for a home defense rig.
If your rig is a hunting model with a long barrel, it will be unwieldy indoors though. You can get a shorter replacement barrel if you wish to use that shotgun.
Buying a different barrel might cost just as much as buying another complete shotgun though too...depends on what you shop for.

All my shotguns are 12ga...never had the need for a 20 yet, but there isn't anything wrong with that gauge. :)
I have one 870 set up with a 20" barrel that is strictly a defense and varmint control rig. Nothing fancy, just a used beater 870 with a bobbed barrel. No choke, beat up wood, no "tacti-cool" stuff stuck all over it...it's just a beater that I don't mind the cops taking if I ever do need to use it on two-legged vermin.

My pellet of choice is #4 buck though. I prefer 27 .24" pellets over 8 or 9 .33" pellets.
At close range, the whole charge is gonna connect anyway but out a bit farther there are a few more pellets to connect with a target.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
20ga. No problem using it for a home defense rig.
If your rig is a hunting model with a long barrel, it will be unwieldy indoors though. You can get a shorter replacement barrel if you wish to use that shotgun.
Buying a different barrel might cost just as much as buying another complete shotgun though too...depends on what you shop for.

All my shotguns are 12ga...never had the need for a 20 yet, but there isn't anything wrong with that gauge. :)
I have one 870 set up with a 20" barrel that is strictly a defense and varmint control rig. Nothing fancy, just a used beater 870 with a bobbed barrel. No choke, beat up wood, no "tacti-cool" stuff stuck all over it...it's just a beater that I don't mind the cops taking if I ever do need to use it on two-legged vermin.

My pellet of choice is #4 buck though. I prefer 27 .24" pellets over 8 or 9 .33" pellets.
At close range, the whole charge is gonna connect anyway but out a bit farther there are a few more pellets to connect with a target.
That's the beauty of shotguns. So many choices of ammunition. And you can load alternating pellet sizes. # 4 to get their attention, followed by 00, and then a slug to finish off. Appetizer, entree, dessert, all in a couple seconds. ;)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
describe riot gun.

as long as it is not a unregistered SBS it will be fine..e tc.. ( or something like a spas15 :) )
It must be something really horrible that brings the same range of emotions that "assault weapon" brings to people that are completely ignorant of anything factual.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think what he's referring to is the old Win model 12 trench gun, which was called a riot gun if it did not have the bayonet lug and heat shield. At least that's what we called them back in the day. I'd love to have one, but don't have a couple grand in pocket right now. :)

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Military Riot Guns: I was on a ship in the mid 70's one of the Navy's oldest. We had Win 97 Riot Guns that must have been on the ship since commissioning in 1940. WE had trap set up on fantail to shoot clays with them.

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
We have our "someone's in the house" routine down fairly well; first is the 911 call, locking the bedroom door, telling the 911 operator/dispatcher where we are relative to where the troops will be entering, then hunkering down and staying on the line with 911. Anyone who gets through the solid and locked bedroom door is going to be met by his & her's 12ga No.4 Short Mag shot at 20' - from a Norinco '97 Trench Gun clone (his) and Mossberg 500 slug gun (her's). If need be, follow ups will be deivered by an M1911A1 .45 (his) and .41 Mag. single action (her's).

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
the trnech gun I've got.. not a norinco.. but I must admit I was tempted by the price.

it has a repop vent guard on it.. but I did find a bayo for it. enfield right? or am I remembering worng?

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
the trnech gun I've got.. not a norinco.. but I must admit I was tempted by the price.

it has a repop vent guard on it.. but I did find a bayo for it. enfield right? or am I remembering worng?
Now you've got me thinking, maybe I should use the bayonet for a follow up rather than wasting precious 230gr FMJs. Hmm...a bayonet charge from 20'. This has possibilities.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If I were to use something like shotgun shells for home defense I'd get a Taurus Judge with .410 shells. I don't think I want to blast off inside the house with my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot at 12 pellets per shell at a distance of no more than 20 ft. I'm better off to fire a few rounds from my .45
You might find this interesting if you are thinking about 410 pistol for self defense;
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

It wouldn't penetrate both side of a plastic water bottle. I'm sure if the bad guy isn't armed that might be enough to make him leave since he would most likely still be on his feet. If he is armed...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts