The Firearms Forum banner

roll call---Inline Fabrication bench plate

5K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  PlanoAttorney 
#1 ·
who all here has the inline fabrication quick change base plate? I've got one and love it, except for that annoying hole in my bench when not using a press. Stuff either falls in there or gets caught on it. At least until a week or so ago.

I'm serious, who here has them? I, along with another board member, may be able to help you. Free of charge

#2 ·
I've got 2 benches I use in my reloading area. I have an Ultramount on the main one with a quick change base plate on it and the other bench has the flush mounted quick change plate. I can have my XL650 on the ultramount and one of my other tools mounted on the other bench. Very convenient. I just put a thin rubber mat over the flush mounted base plate when I don't have a tool mounted there. That keeps stuff from falling into the hole.

Reactions: texdon
#5 ·
#11 ·
Me too. He's a ... influence. Smart guy with good videos. But he hasn't said anything about Dan's design leaving what I consider an evil hole in the bench. If Jim ever chimes in I may include him

#13 ·
I am curious about how well users like the changeable plates whether mounted on a riser or flush to the bench. What are the opinions of those of you using the system? Particularly I would like to know the impression of someone using changeable plates on a 9" riser.

#14 ·
It is easy and quick to change out equipment. They hold your equipment solidly and are built to outlast you. I only have a 6" tall ultramount, but that is because of the height of my bench. I can move a machine from it to the flush mount in a minute or less.

I like this system a lot better than Pat Marlins rock dock. http://www.patmarlins.com/product-category/rockdock/

Reactions: carver
#15 ·
Am I correct that the Rock Dock bolts to the bench and therefore the press is bench height?

I have a Forrester Co-Ax on a 9" Ultra Mount and simply would not have it any other way. It raises the press to the perfect height to stand and reload, making everything easy to see, reach, etc. Now, I have a LNL to add to the bench for pistol and took an excellent suggestion and sat it on my existing riser to get a visual and test the height, I am confident I want one under my LNL now. The question is if I should buy another Ultra Mount and simply have two, or should I convert my one to changeable plates - cost is the same either way, I have no plans to add a third press, and I have the bench space.

I know first hand a dedicated riser from Dan is solid. I cut some matting left over from my tool-box and set the press riser on that. I slide the riser forward into position and use a C-clamp to lock it into place and when done, I simply push it back out of the way.

#16 ·
Yes, the ultramount is rock solid either way. I was mistaken on the height of my ultra mount. It is 9" tall. I started out with the full height one and decided it was too tall.

Pat Marlin had said he was going to make a dock to set on top of a strong mount or ultramount, But before he did that, Dan came out with his quick change plate system and I just went that route.

#27 ·
Texdon,

Looks good. My problem is the overhang. My bench is in the garage - if the plate hangs over the edge of the bench, and it appears it does, then it is only a matter of time until my wife snags a purse or blouse or something and I will get blamed. Plus I have 6 feet of 2 inch thick maple on my bench. I know it is a "work bench" but it sure is pretty and I don't want to route the plate location. Additionally, I have a 9 inch UltraMount riser under my Forrester Co-Ax and like the height. I plan to raise the LNL too. My choice is to either convert my existing riser to a quick change, or simply buy a second riser and leave both mounted all the time I have the space, and I have no other tools to mount up 9 inches off my bench . I do think that if it were not for the overhang, a quick change would be perfect, I have the occasional need for a vice and a quick mount would certainly make that a done deal.

Reactions: texdon
#26 ·
I'm like George, I had no idea what you guys were talking about, so I looked it up. Now I know what you guys are talking about, and I have no use for anything like that. I'm just a simple man, making simple bullets, at a the lowest price I can make them. All I have is one press, a Lee Turret press.

#29 ·
Still looking, has anyone converted from the fixed Riser to the Quick Change Riser? If you converted, are you happy with the decision?

I basically have three choices - add a second fixed Ultra Mount Riser; Convert my existing riser to a QC and buy two top plates so I can swap; or buy one QC base with riser and top plate for the LNL and leave the Forrester on the fixed riser (best of both worlds I guess).

#30 ·
Hi guys I am new here and new to reloading. I bought two of the flush mounts from Dan and I had a question about mounting. Dan said that some guys mount the flush plate "flush" with the front so there is no overhang. Have any of you done this or know someone who has? I really would rather not have the overhang, although minimal. I assume you would just drill all the way through your bench for the wingnut holes and then get some longer bolts and maybe JB weld the wingnuts on? I wanna do this right so any help would be greatly appreciated!

#31 ·
Mattelk:

Welcome to the club. I ended up buying a second riser so I can't speak to the flush mount with any authority. Based solely on my discussions with Dan, I think you can overhang or push the plate back to avoid an overhang. Mark the outline and use a router (if you want true flush mount) to remove some bench top material to set the mount plate inside. Not sure why JB Weld is necessary. Are you trying to keep the wing bolts from backing out and want more "assurance" than lock washers? If so, why not use red locktite or some permatex on the threads. Or course I am not familiar with JB Weld so maybe the same thing.

Let us know what you end up doing. I never heard anything other than what you see on this thread, and you and I are not keeping Dan in business by ourselves contrary to my wife's belief otherwise.

Attachments

#33 ·
PlanoAttorney:
Thanks for the response, yeah... so two flush plates, 3 top plates, bullet/casing arm, ergo roller and dual press holder.... easy to like his stuff though! Anyway, yes I am wanting to go flush with the front and by doing to you cannot access the wingnuts as is you had the overhang so you have to go all the way through your bench and they are not long enough.
Texdon: yessir I am going flush but also want it flush to the front so I don't have that 1.5 inch overhang to catch everything on.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.