The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The guns and the pics, are real nice. What is a roller? Would someone, please explain.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Remington Rolling Block.

You cock the hammer, then catch hold of that tab and pull backwards and the breech block, which you can see is curved, rolls down out of the way. Then you load the cartridge, roll the block up back into place, and fire. When the hammer is in the down (fired) position there's a piece that prevents any rearward motion of the breeze block. This is a very strong action.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Remington Rolling Block.

You cock the hammer, then catch hold of that tab and pull backwards and the breech block, which you can see is curved, rolls down out of the way. Then you load the cartridge, roll the block up back into place, and fire. When the hammer is in the down (fired) position there's a piece that prevents any rearward motion of the breeze block. This is a very strong action.
Alpo nice Rolling block is it yours?

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Remington Rolling Block.

No, that's just a good close-up picture I found to show what a block looks like.

These three are mine. A Pedersoli 45/70, a Mexican #5 in 7x57mm, and a #4 in 22 long rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
When I was a kid in the 60s one of my cousin’s father owned a Full length Remington Rolling Block military rifle in .43 Egyptian that since “you couldn’t get ammo for it” let us play with it as a toy!

We “shot” plenty of Indians and Tigers and elephants (and each other!) with that rifle, and I’m sure we beat the crap out of it as any 8-10 year olds would...

Now when I see .43 Egyptian components and Bertram brass available I cringe at how stupid we were. (Or my uncle was?). And I always wonder what happened to it...

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remington Rolling Block.

No, that's just a good close-up picture I found to show what a block looks like.

These three are mine. A Pedersoli 45/70, a Mexican #5 in 7x57mm, and a #4 in 22 long rifle.
nice, very nice. i may have an addiction going for these. Tucker1 and his build make me want to do the same, 38-55 is at the front of the wish list right now.

rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Love Rolling Blocks, Not so fond of the nick-name "Roller". The stupid smart phones have everyone abbreviating everything until some of us never know what they are talking about. OK, I'll get off my soap box.

I would love to have a No 1 Sporting rifle in 44-77, but I may be too old to enjoy it for long. Youth is wasted on the young.LOL

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts