Roof Damage from Wind, What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alaska444, Aug 7, 2020.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Go onto some sort of contractor or house repair site and post that...you'll start a fight.
    The purists will tell you ANY time you shingle over shingles you're doing nothing more than trying to save time/work. I tend to agree, but there are definitely reasons not to strip every time.
    I think most would agree that a stack of 3 shingles is going to lead to more blow offs than a single layer will.

2. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

That is exactly the kind of info I need to know.

I took a picture of my roof and it looks like a variant of the “ good” type.

6BF45B47-305F-471F-B5E4-DC03DB86335D.jpeg

BlackEagle and BlueDragonLair like this.

3. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Alaska444,
    Post a picture of were the missing and damaged shingles are if possible.

Your shingles mimic the look of slate. As for the amount of over lap for each course of shingles going up looks correct. As for the brand, I’m not sure of.

There is a tar strip on both the top and bottom of each shingles. This tar strip corresponds with each course of shingle going up. This with sunlight and its heat melts the tar gluing the shingles together. One of the problems is when the shingles were installed. Ideally it should be done with temperatures above 65* F. In some cases if the shingles were installed either to early or to late in the year and as the roof expands or contracts, the tar strips will move from their alignment and not seal properly. Also. If the tar strips don’t get heated properly, wind blown dust can get under the shingles and contaminate the tar strips. This tar strip is should be about a inch or so in hight, but I have seen on some less expensive brands were the tar strip is only a half inch or less.

Then there is sometimes winds that are so high that no matter the quality of the shingles, they will come loose and tare off.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  4. Alaska444

I should be able to do that on Monday. I can't see where it is myself, but we have found more than a dozen missing shingles the last 2 years or so. And I am not tall enough to get a good pic on the higher parts of our building and my wife doesn't like me going on ladders for some reason.

I will see if they can take any pertinent pictures when the first crew does their inspection and estimate on Monday.

5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

You know anyone with a drone that can take pictures for you? I have one my brother bought for deer hunting and used it once. I tried using it once to to check the roof of the rv and it got stuck in the tree for two days, until my neighbors kid got it down. I need @Clipper with his pilot skills. What a shame age has done for me. There was a time I could have given a monkey a run for his money in the trees.

6. PRR1957

Your roof from the picture looks to steep to climb without special roofers boots. And needless to say, be careful of climbing up on a ladder. If possible, lay some plywood on the ground if the ladder has to be set on grass or dirt. There has been to many times I went up a ladder and one of the ladder’s legs started to sink. When that has happened, you’d be surprised at how fast I can descend without fall over sideways.

7. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

You never want the third layer, too much weight on your roof.

I have Allstate, I am about to get mine re-roofed, I got hail April 24, I called insurance, they sent my recommended roofer, he quoted a price of $12,000.00. Insurance sent me $8,000.00. The other $4,000.00 comes out of my pocket.

8. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

I really liked my old house with the 4-12 pitch, 2" foam, rubber and 2" rocks. Wind or hail? Pffft

9. PRR1957

How many squares of shingles, and what is the pitch of your roof. The steeper the pitch, the more time it takes to the tare off and re shingle, so the price rises accordingly. A 4:12 pitch and you could square dance on the roof. Going up in pitch to 6:12 you have to kneel on foam pads. Any pitch above that and your working off of roofing jack boards.

FYI. Roof pitch is I.E., 4:12 = for every 12” in following the rafter line, the roof is inclined 4”.

Also. Make sure they get all the old pulled nails from the ground. Lawn mowers like to fling those. They have to use magnets to get all of them, but even then some are missed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I did roofing for years, not sure demensions of house, it's 2,100 sq ft, garage is 24 X 24.
    I could calculate it if I measured everything, I might timorrow.

BlackEagle and BlueDragonLair like this.
  11. PRR1957

Roofing sucks. It’s good money, but still sucks.

12. Alaska444

Great idea, but no. I don't know anyone that could do that. I will ask the guy on Monday for photo documentation of anything. Who knows, maybe I will go up on the roof with him, but the wife will yell at me. That is what they are for isn't it. Worse, my Granddaughter will be mad at me for going up there as well.

ms6852, BlueDragonLair and tedwitt like this.
  13. Alaska444

Yup, I don't really have any desire to get up in the air on that.

Dangerous work for sure. My wife doesn't like me on ladders. Painting a couple of years ago, I fell of a six foot ladder twice. The first time, I was tired, coming down and thought I was on the bottom rung but I was one above that. I took the step off and landing backward. Got a couple of bruises where the sun doesn't shine.

The second I was on the next to top rung and the aluminum ladder underneath me collapsed with one of the legs bending. I landed on top of my BBQ grill which broke most of the fall. I bout a 20 foot ladder to paint the upper parts and my wife said, just hire someone for that.

14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When we moved inland in Florida, we added a garage & large sewing room for Mrs. Geezer. As the house was about 9 yrs old the shingles were faded from the FL sun & could not be matched, I decided to re-roof the entire house rather than try to match new shingles to ones that were close to the end of their useful life. I also opted for a metal roof. Since that time we have had three close calls & one direct hit by hurricanes. Neither we nor anyone else in our park with metal roofs have had any roof damage from the rain or hurricane force winds. Nearly all of the other houses with shingles had at least some damage & at least one lost their roof totally.
    Metal roofs are actually cheaper to install than shingles since the roofing panels are four feet wide & can be ordered in most standard lengths to cover roofs without horizontal seams. They are available in steel or aluminum & every color including a galvanized natural look. They are the last roof you would ever need. They can be pressure washed & repainted. They can be fastened in several ways so as to appear screw less from the outside. If We live long enough to need a new roof on our northern house it will be metal for sure.

15. Alaska444

All that is true, but my wife hates metal roofs. I would get my own room on the metal roof if I put that up there. Or she would move out and tell me, I will visit you.

tedwitt likes this.