Roof Damage from Wind, What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alaska444, Aug 7, 2020.

1. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I started back into roofing when I was laid off from a company shutdown from the new owners back in 2015. Worked roofing because it was the only high paying job I could find. I worked for five different roofers until July 2018 and quit do to being 61 years old. To much hard work for me. Humping 75 lb shingle bundles was to much when the labors could not keep up with me. Most paid me between $20-$25 an hour. Usually cash. Just can’t do it anymore now at 63. Also the summer heat kicks my butt.

So now I do light home repair and small land scape to make some side money. Here’s a small landscape job I did two weeks ago for $400. All I did was the shale stone boarder, and no it’s not a perfect circle as per the home owner’s request.
    B4DAE49B-7088-47FB-B4A1-19504F128FE2.jpeg
    Oh yeah. I did one tare off that had cedar shake under asphalt shingles. Had to ware a face mask because of the dust. Horrible job that was.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Even if our priorities are different, I agree with you. Only in limited circumstances will I shingle over.

Alaska444, drymag and tedwitt like this.

3. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

That's when you need toe boards.

BlueDragonLair, Alaska444 and drymag like this.
  4. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it. The added benefit is if there is a flood, you can roll the house over and sail it out to sea!

ms6852, joe45c, BlackEagle and 5 others like this.
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After the first winter in our new house, I had the crawl space & the attic spray foamed. It was the best money I have ever spent. Even in the coldest Illinois winters the crawl space never got below freezing. Just the heat loss from the ductwork keeps it warm enough so I don't need to shut the water off & drain the pipes. The attached garage attic is also spray foamed & it stays warm enough to melt any ice & snow that is on the cars. The best bonus is that the spray foam increases the strength of the roof structure by 35%, seals against leaks & lengthens the life of the shingles. Because we are not in IL during the winter months, we went with ducted electric heat & with the spray foam insulation we have been able to keep the temp setting at the lowest level the thermostat will go. Our electric bills for winter heat are minimal even in the coldest it's been. I think you'd be very satisfied with the results.

If I'm still alive when the shingles need replacement, I'll still go with a metal roof.

ms6852, drymag, tedwitt and 2 others like this.
  6. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    yes if I were to redo my slate roof im with you on the metal standing seam. I have the cheaper style on my garage and kitchen roof, its all good but solar panels attach to standing seem easier.

I have been lucky to get 110 years out of this roof, just fixed one yesterday.

7. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Well, got a quote today of about $8,000 for the whole roof. Positive wind damage with at least 15 shingles missing, but no leaks. This contractor wants to use IKO. I looked them up, not a lot of good said online about IKO except it is cheaper.

USAA is sending an adjustor and we also scheduled their local contractor, but waiting for a call back. We can use their company or go with one we pick. There is one from Spokane that is a GAF contractor so I will take a look at that one as well.

Well, the fun begins. USAA said that if more than $5000 in costs they will prorate it based on age of the roof which is about 25 years old right now. (Built in 1996).

So, the fun begins.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Question. A friend of mine mentioned tin roofs with the screws hidden.
    Anybody know?

Alaska444 likes this.
  9. PRR1957

IKO are as cheap as their price reflects. Do you want a fifteen year roof or a twenty five year roof ? Yah gets what’s yah pays for, just saying.

10. CCHolderinMaine

I assume you're talking about a standing seam steel roof? The "standing seam" refers to no screws.

tedwitt and Alaska444 like this.
  11. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

That is what most of the reviews are stating. We had the "preferred contractor" for USAA out today. He found 3/5 slopes that should be replaced. He noted that at times because of how old our roof is that they will match the other two but that is not a regulation in Idaho. But we will see what the USAA adjustor says in the next day or so.

But getting the right material is only half the issue. Finding a reputable builder is proving difficult up here but I liked the guy here today.

BlackEagle and tedwitt like this.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

You should try finding a contractor that will show up here in the southeast. :headbang:

13. CCHolderinMaine

That's pretty epidemic everywhere!

Alaska444, BlackEagle and howlnmad like this.
  14. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

15. PRR1957

Angie’s List in my mind can’t be a trusted review internet site. Firstly. A contractor can have family and friends post glowing reviews for a fly by nighter. Secondly. There are homeowners who try to get out of paying the full bill because of some made up lie and when they are brought to claims court and made to pay will go on Angie’s List and besmirch the contractor just to be petty. If you as a contractor try to get a false claim of shoty workmanship taken down, Angie’s List will not remove it.

Your best bet is to make sure there are no bad marks for the company on a BBB website.

BlackEagle and howlnmad like this.