The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'd like to thank this place for existing and for the welcome.

I never thought about a gun until recently, but with finances, I kept putting it off. Then I see a new law pass, and then a LOT of break-ins around here. I know a friend who works a gun shop around here. A .22 pistol (Heritage Barkeep) was $180, and I also knew I'd have to get ammunition, but I also wanted to be responsible, so I went to the range, familiarize myself.

Then I talk to others, including a friend (who wants to sell his .380) who tells me a .22 is for varmint. So I'm thinking, "Did this friend get me to buy the .22 for his commission?" so I thought a place like this, somewhere neutral, would be best to ask.

I keep it right by my bed. Safety is on. But, I live alone, no pets, but when I read stories about intruders being shot in the head, and still not dying, it stresses me out... Especially because I recommended my sister getting one. She's very petite, with two little girls. Again, money is so tight, and with the way things are, I'm extra cautious. I won't be able to afford what some recommend - $500 guns, in fact, I can't afford anything.

Guys walk down my street showing their gun (I think it's the law), but sometimes I wonder if I should just sell it, but then I don't want to get in a position where I can't afford another one, and it's a hassle because I can't drive (bad eyes), especially with all the paperwork, sheriff's office.

Basically, I want this to work out, because I have no more money, no other options.. I bought the best ammo this other shop had, 40 grains, Blazer Ammunition (but it is a 6-shooter revolver).. Anyway, I know I'll get honest opinions from here, instead of "friends" trying to profit, or another friend just saying a .22 is a joke because he's selling his .380..... I've been stressed out, and every time I hear noise at night, I think, "Oh God".

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
For defensive use a .380 is at the lower end of the scale. Not off the scale - but towards the bottom. I carry a Walther PPK conceal carry, and for me if I HAD to use it for defense - it will be up close and as a last resort.

You already have a .22 revolver. Those are great for practice and fun plinking - you might consider keeping it if you enjoy shootinjg it. If you just don't like it - if it were me (it isn't) I'd take it to a gun shop and sell it on consignment. That gets you off of the hook if it is ever used for bad things. If it is used in a crime, the first thing done is to look at the serial number - 'run a check' to see who the last owner was - and go talk to them. If you sell it on consignment to an FFL gun dealer - that gets you off the hook.

If I were starting over and looking for a defense pistol - there are many 9mm semi autos on the market. Price wise they aren't much - if any - more expensive than most decent .380s. There are lots of law enforcement turn-ins that are sold at decent prices (if you take your time and look around), as well as militarty surplus guns in 9mm.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It's just almost impossible for me to get around, and the money issue is only getting worse. I know I won't be able to get what I paid for it, so it only puts me in deeper.... It's why I never bought a gun in the past - I figured, "I'm never going to use it, and it's like burning my money" but after local/national news, I figured since I was buying one, I'd get a new one just to be on the safe side.

If I practice, surely a head shot would be sufficient?

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
The laws are so stupid that if you DONT kill the intruder, you get sued... That's the last thing I want, but if it's between me and this hypothetical intruder, it's a no-brainer.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
For many years after my guns were all stolen in 1981, all I had was a Ruger Single Six 22 for home defense. A 22 will get the job done it is all you have. It is also very good for practice. You can afford to shoot it on the cheap. If you have to fire at someone that broke into your house the odds are they will run as soon as they hear the shot. Get as much practice as you can. You will be fine.

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
I've always have been a proponent of a 22 caliber handgun for self defense. There are pros and cons because the ammunition depending on the type one buys can be unreliable. The fact that it is a revolver is a plus, in case you ever have a misfire all you have to do is cock the hammer and squeeze again.

Without reading into your statements too much you seem to be between a rock and a hard place and getting around is difficult, my only recommendation would be to buy prime ammunition like eley, lapua, sks, for self defense as this type of ammo will be more reliable and use the cheaper brand for practice. Also it won't matter how expensive the gun is if you do not practice and train frequently. You can easily miss with a $2000 gun as easy as a $180 dollar gun.

·
TFF Chaplain
23,394 Posts
Get as much practice as you can.
I agree. It's what you have. Learn to use it effectively. Learn how it feels, how it handles. Have fun putting holes in paper at the range.

I have found that my .22's "like" certain brands of ammo better than others. And high prices do not guarantee good performance in my guns. Try a variety of ammo to see which gives the tightest group.

You will have a lot to learn...safety, shooting skills, handling reloading your revolver, getting the right sight picture.

And I sincerely hope that's all you ever have to use it for.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
A .22 revolver can do any job you want it to - within reason. Being a revolver is a huge plus - if a semi auto mis-fires you must work the action to clear and load it. A revolver is instantly ready to fire the next round. In my early teens I used to carry a six shot revolver while tramping out in the desert alone - and I never felt "unarmed". Remember that DEFENSE is up-close-and-personal. Your .22 revolver will work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I absolutely agree with all those that have stated the .22 will do, and it will, but, if in the future you want to try a larger caliber and your finances have not improved, look into a Hi-Point. Inexpensive and supposedly reliable. And I should mention ugly?

I sure hope my advice doesn't get me banned! There are times I wished I could remain anonymous. : (

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
40grain solid for defense - mini mags or equal. Longer the barrel the better - at least a 4 but 5 or 6 is better. Shoot in the face and head or stomach. The rib cage can stop 22rf bullets.

Seen many large hogs drop like a rock with one shot over the eye brow. Have to hit skull square with brain inline with the bullets path.

Use a 357mag or 45acp and you dont have to be so picky about where you shoot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
A .22 is an old standby. They fire when you pull the trigger, they are inexpensive to shoot and practice with.
If you keep the .22, find a way to hone your skills with it. A gun, any gun is only as good as the person shooting it.
If and when the time and finances allow you to purchase a larger caliber gun you will have the basic knowledge you need to use it.
And if you like the revolver, a .38 special may be a logical step up for you, when you are ready.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Pink, you mentioned "Bad Eyes" and you may have other limitations from a physical standpoint.
The Bar keep will be fine for now, I would suggest in the future try to buy a weapon, that you can handle well, and point on an inexpensive laser. The reason for the laser suggestion is simple. Intimidation can be very important and in my mind, nothing is more intimidating than a red laser dot shining on an intruder's chest. My wife has lasers on her weapons, they are small,22's but the intruder has no idea what is behind the red laser dot.
Practice, with the weapon, unloaded, of course, retrieving it from the nighttime station, aiming it, and dry fire the weapon. MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED and no ammo is nearby while you practice.
The way to get good is to practice your actions until it is second nature.

Best of Luck

Larry

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I was in a bar where a guy shot another guy with a 1911 45acp 5 times. The guy drove to the hospital and survived. He wasn't hit in a vital organ or an artery. Shot placement is more important than bullet size.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I was in a bar where a guy shot another guy with a 1911 45acp 5 times. The guy drove to the hospital and survived. He wasn't hit in a vital organ or an artery. Shot placement is more important than bullet size.
Not antagonizing a guy with a 45 ACP is pretty important too. (y)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.