The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some fairly extensive research online, I bought the Heritage Arms Rough Rider on sale at the local 2nd Amendment shop; have taken it out, fired it, functions well, really enjoy the WMR capability. HOWEVER, and according to that research, with the hammer block in place, it's OK to dry fire in order to improve the feel and use of the SA; I noticed the hammer block was no longer in place, & would be in the FIRE position. I'm very glad I was dry firing an unloaded pistol...as it wasn't something I noticed right away. Upon testing, the hammer block seems to unblock about every 6 shots. Being as how this is Labor Day, and the gun shop is closed, my recourse is to wait until tomorrow to take it in and ask some very important (if not life changing) questions. I hadn't heard about this problem & thought I should post my concerns to whomsoever may find themselves in this same situation. Thanks~

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Welcome to The Firearms Forum!

I have the exact model in question. I bought it brand-new - I think in 1968 or 1969 for a whopping $30. It even came with a spare .22 Magnum cylinder! These are fun little revolvers, but there is a catch: they are not made with really very good quality metal. They will withstand moderate use as plinking handguns with regular .22 Long Rifle ammunition, but will not last very long if you decide to use that .22 Magnum cylinder.

As far as that broken hammer safety block, I seriously doubt if you will ever find an original part to repair it. You could have a machinists or gunsmith make one to fit, but then you would be spending far more than the monetary value of that revolver.

If only these were made with better quality material!:( But then, they wouldn't have cost only $30......;) As far as that 'hammer block safety' - I wouldn't trust it even on a Colt or a Ruger, Just carry it with 5 rounds in the cylinder

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
My 1970's Ruger Blackhawk never had one. Just carry 5 and leave it on the empty chamber and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to The Firearms Forum!

I have the exact model in question. I bought it brand-new - I think in 1968 or 1969 for a whopping $30. It even came with a spare .22 Magnum cylinder! These are fun little revolvers, but there is a catch: they are not made with really very good quality metal. They will withstand moderate use as plinking handguns with regular .22 Long Rifle ammunition, but will not last very long if you decide to use that .22 Magnum cylinder.

As far as that broken hammer safety block, I seriously doubt if you will ever find an original part to repair it. You could have a machinists or gunsmith make one to fit, but then you would be spending far more than the monetary value of that revolver.

If only these were made with better quality material!:( But then, they wouldn't have cost only $30......;) As far as that 'hammer block safety' - I wouldn't trust it even on a Colt or a Ruger, Just carry it with 5 rounds in the cylinder
Thanks, Jim; Sent back to the factory under warranty. And, but, isn't it all about that WMR? Becomes a very fun gun!

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
I was going to pick one up for the wife as they had them on sale at Cabelas. That way I could get my Ruger back. They are outlawed in the state of Illinois due to the metal they are made of.

Reactions: flboots

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
My LGS has had them for a good price. After picking up one of them I decided against a gun made out of pot metal!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Thanks, Jim; Sent back to the factory under warranty. And, but, isn't it all about that WMR? Becomes a very fun gun!
Maybe it's just me, but if I want something more powerful than a .22 Long Rifle I'm going to use a larger caliber. I'm not bad-mouthing the .22 Magnum - just that if I need more 'umph' I like the idea of using a caliber that I can reload. As others have stated here - it's not a wise move to use that high pressure ammo in these revolvers.

I didn't even know they still made those guns or that they were still in business. I've got that .22 Mag cylinder (and a full box of ammo for it that my Mom bought for it 30-40 years ago), but I'll probably never shoot mags thru it again. Thanks for this post - and good luck/have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts