The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been comparing a few 22s for a while now. I can get the ruger for 200 dollars, but I don't know about another rifle, the marlin 60, which I hear is real accurate from my dad and other people on the Internet. His is an older one though. My dad also has a ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel, houge stock, bipod, and a scope that we were shooting the other day, but it shot high to the right. We used a variety of ammo but the accuracy was pretty much all the same. The one I would get has the standard barrel. I could get a synthetic or birch stock. I would rather have the synthetic stock because I hear wooden stocks will expand and contract and that will affect accuracy. Also I'm not too crazy about the plastic parts, but oh well. I would use my gun for shooting rabbits, squirells and such.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum! IMHO, either gun will do the job for hunting rabbits, and squirrels. The 10-22 can be outfitted with a large varity of stocks, 50 round magazines, and so much more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your experience with accuracy could possibly be corrected by adjusting the scope.
Both the Ruger and Marlin are made with a lot of plastic parts... trigger group and barrel band (on the Ruger). One of my grandsons has a 10/22, his brother has the model 60. The quality is about equal as is accuracy. The longer barrel of the Marlin may give it an edge in accuracy. At family plinking time I outshoot them both with my 64 year old single shot Remington.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I bought both a 60 and a 10/22 at the same time last year and enjoy shooting them very much. Since I was starting out new with both of them I had no preconceived notions regarding either gun. After 8 months of ownership, I find that after zeroing in with several similar sights on both, I have the 10/22 set up with a red dot and use it primarily for shooting out to 50 yards or so. It's much faster handling than the 60 and the red dot lets you acquire targets instantly. The Marlin is scoped and what I use when I know I'm going out to 100 yards or longer. For those hold your breath, release half, count to 2 long shots, the 60 is just plain more accurate. The best part is since I own both, I always bring both to the field!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys :) I will get the ruger and later on I will get the marlin. I will put the red dot sight on as grandpa Pete said.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Welcome Cowboy. You will not regret getting either rifle. It boils down to which one you like the best. Every individual .22lr rifle seems to have preference for one brand and loading of ammo so try as many as you can to see just which brand and weight of cartridge you rifle likes the best. Two that you will surely want to try are CCI Standard Velocity 40gr. Round Nose and also Federal Auto Match 40gr. Round Nose.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i have both.. can't complain about either.

the marlin has taken many *****.

the ruger as mentioned.. has plety of outfitting options..

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
Ford or Chevy. Chocolate or Vanilla. 10/22 or M60 It's always two fine choices that people usually have strong opinions about.
For me it's 10/22....and chocolate and Chevy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Cowboy. You will not regret getting either rifle. It boils down to which one you like the best. Every individual .22lr rifle seems to have preference for one brand and loading of ammo so try as many as you can to see just which brand and weight of cartridge you rifle likes the best. Two that you will surely want to try are CCI Standard Velocity 40gr. Round Nose and also Federal Auto Match 40gr. Round Nose.
I usually use CCI and federal bulk. One time my dad and I were going to buy the federal auto match but we found out it was lead, and my dad only likes copper coated 22 ammo.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have 3 60's and two 10 22's. the Ruger's are for sale any one interested call Cliff-978-424-7024

By the way, Grandpa Pete's second post I feel is right on the Money:)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My son has marlin 60 and 795 and I love them both.Never shot a ruger.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your experience with accuracy could possibly be corrected by adjusting the scope.
Both the Ruger and Marlin are made with a lot of plastic parts... trigger group and barrel band (on the Ruger). One of my grandsons has a 10/22, his brother has the model 60. The quality is about equal as is accuracy. The longer barrel of the Marlin may give it an edge in accuracy. At family plinking time I outshoot them both with my 64 year old single shot Remington.
Do you know if the older marlins have plastic parts or not?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
When it comes to .22's and between Marlin #60 and Ruger 10-22, I come down on the Marlin side of the debate. :D

My Dad bought me a wood stocked 60 when I was about 11 or 12 and after putting about a million rounds through it, I sold it to a buddy and bought another one. I have a Marlin 25MN .22WMR too.

Had a friend growing up that owned the Ruger and I out shot him every time. The old "options, magazines, stock" reason the buy the Ruger doesn't mean squat if it isn't as accurate as the Marlin #60. For me, accuracy is the main reason to choose a rimfire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you know if the older marlins have plastic parts or not?
Sorry, I do not know. Earlier 10/22s had aluminum trigger groups and receivers and some had walnut stocks.
I hang on to my old Remington because of the sentimental value of course but the quality of materials it is made from are not found in any .22 being manufactured today. Its just a pleasure to look at and shoot.

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
My Ruger 10-22 is the best 22 I have ever owned. I have had maybe 3 jams in 1000's of rounds on ammo.

IMG-20130520-00054.jpg

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I have had both and now only have the Marlin. I prefer it over the 10/22. As previously mentioned, you won't be disappointed in either. Both good .22's. My personal all time favorite 22 is the Browning take-down model.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This comparison will never end. lol

Well the Marlin is cheaper, and performs better out of the box. Rugers are rarely left stock. The barrel, stock, buffer, and mag release are pretty much trashed. Makes you wonder just how good the original design is when it's all replaced, and only the receiver is the only part Ruger. However when you compare a rimfire with $600 into mods vs a $179.99 run of the mills Marlin, it's kinda apples to oranges

·
Registered
78 Posts
I refuse to put money into "upgrading" a rifle. After reading a post somewhere about replacing the plastic trigger group in a 10/22 I checked the prices on ebay and Midway. They sell for as much as the gun. Neither the Ruger or the Marlin is made to be heirloom quality. Putting $600 into a gun that cost $250 and will never be worth the $250 again just ain't gonna happen with me.

I'll learn to shoot it out of the box. If I can't get it to do what I want I'll try another until I can.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I refuse to put money into "upgrading" a rifle. After reading a post somewhere about replacing the plastic trigger group in a 10/22 I checked the prices on ebay and Midway. They sell for as much as the gun. Neither the Ruger or the Marlin is made to be heirloom quality. Putting $600 into a gun that cost $250 and will never be worth the $250 again just ain't gonna happen with me.

I'll learn to shoot it out of the box. If I can't get it to do what I want I'll try another until I can.
That's how I see it too. I really dislike 10/22 fans that brag that it's the best .22 ever, but most of their rifle consists of components from other manufacturers'. If the Ruger was so good, why doesn't it have Ruger parts?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts