The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Ruger 10/22 takedown model. Shot for the first time yesterday. With open sights at 25 yards it hits about 2" high and to the left.

I see that there is a way to adjust elevation on the rear sight, but what about windage? Both front and rear sight are dovetailed into the barrel and I am not comfortable with trying to knock them over to adjust. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Unless Ruger changed the rear sight leaf on the takedown model from the standard 10-22, there should be a slideing insert on the rear sight leaf with 2 very small slotted head screws. That will give you enough movement for the slight windage and elevation change you need to make.

I usually get this wrong, but in moving the rear sight, you want to go in the opposite direction that you want the bullet to go. If your group is to the right, move the rear sight to the left. Just a tad ought to do it.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I hope I don't complicate the situation, but I have to tell you what I did on my take down 10/22

I bought the Williams Fire sites for the 10/22 and I love them
The are under $40 and install easy
what you get is a new front fiber optic site and a rear peep site that bolts right onto the receiver with existing holes

The rear peep site is superior to any other rear site in my opinion
it gives you so much more field of view

take a look at them

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-63330

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless Ruger changed the rear sight leaf on the takedown model from the standard 10-22, there should be a slideing insert on the rear sight leaf with 2 very small slotted head screws. That will give you enough movement for the slight windage and elevation change you need to make.

I usually get this wrong, but in moving the rear sight, you want to go in the opposite direction that you want the bullet to go. If your group is to the right, move the rear sight to the left. Just a tad ought to do it.
I'll look closer. It appeared that all I could get out of the rear sight was elevation adjustment. I believe you are correct, rear site adjustment is opposite direction of where you want the point of impact to move. I like the rifle, nice tight groups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts