The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger 10/22 Takedown Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve O'Neal 
#1 ·
I have a new 10/22 takedown. In firing it using the factory sights, I've discovered that my old eyes can't even see the front sight. it's so blurry that it's invisible. My obvious solution to said problem was to add a scope. I've since tried two different scopes, and both shoot consistently high. I used a laser borsighter to get a coarse zero at home, but at the range, couldn't even hit paper. I eventually discovered that, as I said, the gun is shooting high. Having tried two scopes, I lean toward blaming the gun, and think I have an answer, but wanted to run it by folks who are more expert than me. The setup instructions for the rifle say to assemble it (put the two halves together), and adjust the knurled ring until it's tight. then disassemble the rifle, and tighten a bit more. It's possible to tighten it to the point that you actually can't reassemble it. Anyhow, when I got home from the range, I was looking at the rifle, and discovered that I was able to flex the "joint." What this would mean at the range is that if you're using a rest (an I was), or supporting the forend, it could (perhaps) flex the barrel upwards, and cause shots to be high relative to the scope zero. the iron sights would automatically compensate for this, as the front sight is attached to the muzzle, but a scope is all on the receiver end of the gun.

I went through the process of tightening the adjustment ring to the point of being unable to reassemble the rifle, and then backed it off to the point that I was just able to put it back together...it's really tight, and requires some effort to twist the barrel into place. I haven't been back to the range since, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered anything similar, and how much influence the "tightness" of the joint between the barrel and the receiver will have on the accuracy. The barrel does extend down into the receiver an inch or so, so you'd expect the joint to be pretty rigid, but I also expect that if I can flex it with my hands, it isn't rigid enough. I'd value some expert opinions. thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Browning SA-22 has essentially the same mechanism. You want to make it just tight enough so that nothing rattles and wiggles when you shake it. No need to make it extra tight because what little effect that has on the accuracy is pretty small, and then only if you're bench-resting with match grade ammo. So just keep it a decent plinker by taking all the looseness out of it and you'll be fine.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
My granddaughter and I were both shooting it with similar results...also similar results with a different scope. What got me thinking was that we were both shooting it with a sandbag on a rest, and our left hand under the forestock. It just dawned on me that the weight of the forward part of the rifle just might be causing a little upward deflection of the barrel

The Browning SA-22 has essentially the same mechanism. You want to make it just tight enough so that nothing rattles and wiggles when you shake it. No need to make it extra tight because what little effect that has on the accuracy is pretty small, and then only if you're bench-resting with match grade ammo. So just keep it a decent plinker by taking all the looseness out of it and you'll be fine.
thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.