The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy just picked up a 10/22 today.. he bought it for his birthday.

he only has the 10 rnd mag for it.

We are throwing him a surprise party in the afternoon, and I want to hit gander mountain and get him an extended mag.

I've seen a few brands.,

any comments / pro / con's? of models / brands?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Stick with the Butler Creek steel lip or Tactical Innovations, both are 25rnd mags. They're the best of what's out there IMO. I prefered to have 4 or 5 factory steel lip mags around, so that wouldn't be a bad idea either, since he only has one.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point. I'll get him a factory 10rnd mag and an extended with steel lips. another buddy will be getting him a tackical bag and a 'bucket' of them nice looking brass palted bullets.

thanks

·
TFFWPP President
14,281 Posts
doesn't the butler creek ones have a thing where you can attach 2 25rounders back to back?

the ruger BX25's can be taken apart for cleaning where I don't think any others can

·
Registered
259 Posts
I beg to differ. The Ruger BX25 is much better than any aftermarket mag out there.
Have to agree the Ruger BX25 round magazine the best out there right now

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
I beg to differ. The Ruger BX25 is much better than any aftermarket mag out there.
yes, the factory Ruger BX 25 magazine is a very high quality mag and it does work with the aftermarket crank type reloaders

BX25 all the way!

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I've been buying the Butler Creek mags because they were the only ones I knew of that had the steel lips. Glad to hear that Ruger has addressed this problem, and I will be looking for some of the Ruger BX 25 magazines.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've used the Butler Creek over the years and when the BX 25's came out, I'm sold!
I havent had any problems with the BX 25's and not one single FTF...fail to feed issue at all, where as, with Butler Creek mags I've had issues with them in the past from
time to time.

·
Premium Member
21,004 Posts
I have the Ruger BX25. I have had it since they 1st came out. Never had an issue with it.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
When I had my 10/22 back in the day I had 2 of the factory 10 rd mags then I had 2 x 25 rd mags - don're remember what brand they were. I had the 2 extended mags simply taped together with black electrical tape, would just eject and flip the mag. Never had a problem.

Since my daughter's accident, her 10/22 is here at my house as well as her extended mag. The extended mag is clear plastic and I haven't looked to see who makes it. Until I'm 100% sure she's stable again she doesn't get the rifle back.

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
Our 10/22RB has worked flawlessly with BX-1 magazines for years. Doesn't care what brand of .22lr we feed it; standard or high velocity, solids or hollow points, she just keeps on tickin' - must have some Timex genes. When our grandsprout was up from Idaho a couple of summers back I bought a Pro Mag smoke colored 25 rounder for us to plink with, but it rained for much of his visit (typical Sitka) so we only had it out a few times. Still, the Pro Mag worked perfectly during our limited outings - no complaints at all, and the guy in our local gun shop said they're guaranteed for life - if it screws up mail it to them and they'll send you a new one free of charge.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I still prefer the stock 10-round flush mags for hunting 10/22s since the magwell is right at the balance point for carrying it one-handed.

But for just plinking around, I do have extended mags (a couple BX25s and a bunch of the OLD steel-lipped RamLine 25 rounders). I never had any luck with the Butler Creek mags...steel or "hotlips" version. They always seemed to have too little follower tension for reliable feeding.

Another one that works really good is the old military trick of fastening two mags facing opposite directions. You can face the bottom of two 10rnd mags flat with a sander or file so they fit flush and epoxy them bottom to bottom. You'll have one 10rnd in the rifle and the other hanging upside down below it. It works great and you can even reload the bottom mag with the unit in place after a bit of practice.

But for the most part, the Ruger BX25 is the one to get if you're gonna go with a higher-capacity mag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Steel Lips mags work just as well as my BX25's,and I can see the round count.Cant do that with the rugers.I don't think the rugers are THAT good myself.
Acutally,if I were doing it all over again,i'd buy factory 10 rounders,and skip the hicaps.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys.

we held off getting him a hi-cap till we can see what we have available.

we got him a bunch of other goodies, rifle case, quite a selectrion of ammo to shoot, some spinner targets, etc..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts