The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about stepping up my .357 shooting by getting a 71/2" Blackhawk- all my .357s are 4" and generate a lot of muzzle blast with heavy loads.. My thought is that the longer barrel will maximize the potential of this caliber and also reduce the muzzle blast.. I do reload this caliber FWIW... This is pretty much only for recreational use- I have a .44 Redhawk for any hunting applications. What say you all?

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
A longer barrel increases both sight radius and velocity. For range work and long range shooting with a revolver I've always preferred a 7 1/2 barrel, just not the .357...and that is purely a matter of taste.

Reactions: Fletch.N

·
Registered
39 Posts
You'll never go wrong with a Blackhawk. I've owned 2 and loved both. Best short range pistol for Whitetails I've hunted with using both lead and jacketed flat nose. They will accurately shoot anything you put in them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
More a matter of grips & SA or DA to me. I likem both but if I want the chance for a second shot without regripping I go for the squared back DA and good grips that don't slide.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I really, REALLY regret selling my Blackhawk a few years ago. I don’t know what I was thinking. Perhaps another one will join the stable someday. They are built so a .357 load is easy to handle and shooting .38s through it feels like shooting a 22LR.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
i do like the ones i have! the only down side is they want to eat ammo. the more you shoot them the more they beg to be reloaded with fresh ammo. result no ammo on the shelf. mine will gobble up reloads all day if i let them.
now do you think i like them? you bet!

rick
hope you find a well cared for one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Cannot go wrong with a Ruger .357 mag. I have owned a Blackhawk, Security Six and a GP100 and I love them all. You may want to consider a Redhawk in .357 but I warn you, they are as scarce a hens teeth. Whichever one you end up with, I believe that you will be pleased...JM2C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts