Ruger .44 mag. Bisley

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kutaho, Apr 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Been thinking of picking one up as a companion weapon for my .44 mag. Winchester, Trapper model. Any one out there ever handle one? pros, cons?

2. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Yes, sir ! I'm the proud owner of both .41 mag and .44 mag Bisleys, and I highly recommend the Bisley. I'm not a big fan of the tiny little Blackhawk grip, but the Bisley fits my hand just right. IMHO it's hard to beat a Super-B !

3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Thanks for the info, 'tiny' is what i thought with both the blackhawk, and colt western. By the way, how does a .44mag compare with a .41, I've never had the pleasure of firing a .41. Presently my side arm is a mk11 1915 s&w .455, with a contured bone grip. It's in top condition, but I should retire it. Recently retired my grandfathers 1911.

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

theres nothing wrong with the standard 'tiny' grip of the Super blachawk, there is an art to shooting them accurately and proficiently with heavy recoiling cartridges such as the .44 mag and even the .41 mag, it just takes practice. I will be the first to agree, while I do not prefer the bisley grip and hammer angle, they do provide instant improvement to offhand shooting comfort and accuracy to the average shooter. Just dont want you to discredit the standard grip style as they just take some getting used to. To add one more thing, the standard grip angle of the super blackhawk has higher pointability characteristics, meaning, you can raise it to the target with your eyes closed and have to adjust the position of the revolver less when you open your eyes to acquire the target, they have a very natural 'extension of the hand' feel to them. Just my $.02

5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

You make a very good point, I've always preferred a larger grip, was tought cowboy style by my great grandfather. And always felt like I was 'reaching' for the trigger. My general shooting with revolver is between shoulder and hip, was thinking the bisley angle would improve on that. Definitely see you're point on pulling up to site though.

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Even though I've got kinda small paws I like the feel of the Ruger Bisley grip compared to the regular Blackhawk grip. For me it seems to naturally point better...but that just goes to show that everyone has a different preference.
    The regular grip will seem to "roll up" more under recoil where the Bisley will be more of a straight-back push.

Now going with the original Colt (& clones) Bisley grip, I find that one completely different than Ruger's rendition of the Bisley grip frame...the Colt version always comes up low for me.

Which ever one fits your hand best...go for it. :)

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yes sir... to each his own...

8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Truth is i wanted one in Colt, but they dont' make one in .44mag. Or do they?