Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by M&P Man, Apr 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. M&P Man

M&P Man New Member

I posted earlier on help with a 357 magnum hunting question and was well answered now I have a new question. A friend of mine owns a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum and uses it for hunting deer, after we talked I looked on-line for ammo and found several different dealers carry it and its not too high priced. Now compared to a 357 this 41mag is a better choice for deer isn't it? And it will also have much less recoil than a 44 magnum I gather. I found a new 41 mag BH with a 6.5" barrel for $348.00 is this a great deal and what are your thoughts on all I have asked, I know its a lot lol sorry to flood this post with so many questions...

2. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Great caliber EXCEPT for the cost of ammo, which to me is prohibitive (about $50 per 50 rounds, at last check).

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The recoil of a 41 is very similar to the 44's. With the Blackhawk, the 44 magnum is loaded in a heavier gun, so with full-bore loads, the 44 actually recoils less. With a S&W, the guns are the same size, and the 41 is slightly heavier (smaller hole means more metal around the hole) so it is a little less.

Main problem with the 41 is ammo availability. You don't see it on the shelf as many places as you do 44. It costs more. The available bullet weights is much smaller (factory, I believe, only comes in 210).

41 magnum is a much better choice for deer. That price is pretty good. I've got a Ruger and a Smith, and love them both, but you really need to reload for this caliber.

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, off-the-shelf ammo for the .41 is fairly scarce (not a commonly stocked caliber) and usually higher priced than .44Mag too.
    If you're handloading for them, the .41 and .44 Magnums are pretty much ballistic twins. .410 diameter bullet compared to .429.

Personally, my preference is for the .41...and I am looking for my own someday too (either a S&W 57 or a Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk).
    Not because it's better than the .44 but just because I have this tendency to go with overlooked or uncommon cartridges and the .41 definitely fits the "underdog" description as it has always kinda sat in the shadow of the .44mag.

For the pricetag you posted, I would be all over that .41 Blackhawk!

Either the .41 or .44 would be a better choice for deer hunting than the .357...but we already covered that in your other thread. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

By my way of thinking the 44mags recoil is pretty tame... :D:D:D:D

My suggestion to you is to skip the 44 and the 41 and save up the extra cash needed to buy a revolver in 45-70!!! :D:D:D:D Now that's a manly kind of gun.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, I thought the BFR in 45/70 was quite tame. Nowhere near as violent as the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. My theory is that the rifle round is loaded with powder to utilize a 20" (or thereabouts) barrel, so much of the powder (and therefore the recoil) is wasted. Burned in a fireball outside the barrel.

7. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

M&P Man,

I have hunted with both in several different gun configurations and the .41 is my revolver caliber of choice. I have three Redhawks in that caliber and love to shoot them all. Finding ammo can be a challenge, but I reload so that is not an issue for me. I have taken game up to Texas Mule Deer size very humanely. I have a nice book Fallow deer hanging on my office wall that I stalked to within 90 yards and took with one shot through the heart.

As listed above, the .41mag is found in the Blackhawk instead of the Super Blackhawk. You will find the .44mag and larger calibers in the Super Blackhawk because of the chamber pressures they develop. For the price you cannot go wrong with the gun you are talking about. I have a buddy that has over 10,000 rounds through his and the only thing he had go wrong was that one of the original factory grips broke.

I decided to go the stainless Redhawk route since I prefer the double action guns and stainless is also my preference for hunting and the harsh weather that can accompany some styles of it. I am also a bit lazy and having to constantly wipe down my blue guns is a pain. Below are my three Redhawks:
    [​IMG]

8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Let's not forget that the .41 will out perform the .44, down range, with it's lighter faster bullet! I don't shoot it, I bought a .44 many years ago, and it does what I want it to, so no need for the .41 on my part. Ballistically, it is the better choice for long shots.

9. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I've always wanted a .41 Mag., specifically a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

Someday I'll get one.

10. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

If you haven't already bought the gun, it's probably long gone by now. I own an identical Blackhawk, have fired a few thousand rounds through it, and I love it. It's deadly accurate. Cost for ammo is a little high and is not readily available, but if you do any reloading it IS available due to the fact that not a lot of folks shoot this caliber. Powder Valley in Winfield, Kansas always has it in stock.

11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

In my mind the 41 is an oddity. The 44 is the universal large magnum.

12. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

I am looking for a 41mag too. the cheapest I have found a new blackhawk is $425. So i say it is a great price.

13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You can find a couple of cases where the 41 magnum has slightly more remaining energy at long, 200 yards or so, ranges. Within reasonable ranges the 44 will always outperform the 41.

By this logic the 22 Jet is more powerful than the 45 ACP. It is, past 100 yards.