The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would pass this along to anyone interested in the little Ruger Compact Bolt gun. I have been looking for a light-weight carbine and saw this at a local shop. It was so darn cute (and in a caliber I already load for) that I couldn't pass it up. (has a wonderful no-creap trigger that breaks at just over 2 lbs) This one has a really nice piece of wood and feels light as a feather. I almost passed it up, thought for sure I would need to float the barrel and glass the action, but decided to buy it anyway. I mounted a Redfield 2X7 with the rings that came with the rifle. Not sure if Ruger used a .308 or a .311 bore and nothing that came with the rifle told me.....So I called Ruger and ask the lady in tech-support. She put me on hold while she ask someone, then came back and said it was .310. Well, Hornady makes a 123 grain JSP that is .310 dia. I started with a box of these, new WW brass (WW cases use a large primer pocket....The old Remington cases I have use a small primer pocket) and loaded them up with H322. I gave the barrel a good "break-in" (cleaning after every shot for the first 10 rounds) then starting shooting 5 shot groups (cleaning between each group). Even while I was breaking in the barrel the groups looked very good. Several groups @ 65 yds were almost one ragged hole. I cleaned the barrel again and moved the target out to 100 meters (about 110 yds). Only had 5 rounds left, the first round (right after cleaning the barrel) is the shot out of the group....the next four made a nice little four-leaf clover. (this is with new brass that was full length sized). I wonder if the groups will get any better when I neck-size the fired brass. This is just as the gun came right out of the box. H322 leaves just a little bit of unburned powder in the barrel, but I don't know if any other powder will shoot any better. Next time out I am going to try A1680 / IMR4198 and more H322. Over all, I am very pleased. The little carbine is a BLAST (pun intended) and has exceeded my expectations. Any one wanting a great heavy-cover deer or hog gun, could do a lot worse that the little "Hawkeye-Compact"..........Just my 2-cents..........Don in SC

·
Registered
420 Posts
Very nice little accurate hunter you have there. Man that photo looks great with wood and blued metal work. Good find. Looks like someone helped out with a aftermarket trigger too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sweet piece! I love it when you're browsing at the gun shop and stumble onto a sweety....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trigger is right out of the box.....The spring scale I tested it with showed a little over 2 lbs.......I have since checked it with a borrowed trigger gauge and it broke @ 3lb 2oz. (not bad) The only Ruger I ever owned with a trigger that is "almost" that good, is a model 77 varmint .....and it has a 2 stage trigger. Ruger has definitely made some changes. The fit / finish / trigger and accuracy are way better than they were years back. (at least on this example) If you haven't looked at one lately.....take another look. I used to be a Remington 700 fan, I still like the older ones, but I think Remington has gone down-hill. (don't want a new one). I know the .30 Commie is not the flattest shooting cartridge out there, but I have plans to ambush a coyote or two. There is one place along side a river where I fly fish, where I have seen yotes on several occasions. .......>> Good Shooting <<
.................Don in SC..................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts