The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm new to forums and learning, so dont beat me up too bad.

I have a M77 .280 that was damaged by the previous owner (attempted removal of barrel obstruction by firing) that resulted in the barrel being cut and crowned by a gunsmith. The gun functions well, but as I am engaged in the learning process of hand loads, my accuracy is wanting (1 1/2 groups) at 100. This leads to my question; Do you guys think I could possibly benefit from threading the barrel and adding a BOSS type system, or even a recoil supressor that could be trimmed as needed to fine tune my loads? I have considered a new barrel, but I think this would be cool. The finish is blue and i figure a 2 inch loss of material.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
In my opinion, the BOSS system is a waste. If you are handloading, there is no reason you can't achieve your goal with a custom load. It may take quite a few tests to find it.
IMO the BOSS system is a waste is no kidding. I have a Winchester model 70 Stainless Classic that HAD a BOSS system. It was a dismal failure. I had the barrel cut back & re crowned. I love it now. I still have the chunk of barrel with the BOSS attached laying around somewhere.

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
Though it was probably 25 years ago, I have a first model (not sure what else to call it) M77 with a tang safety in 300WM that was rebarreled at the Ruger factory. Previous owner, a friend of my father’s was shooting them off without waiting long enough between shots and warped the barrel. They did an amazing job. FYI it is one heck of a rifle.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,944 Posts
NO MUZZLE BRAKE !!!!! EVER.
Best advise, send back to Ruger with original story-they may surprise you.
Why is that? I've got one on my BAR and it has greatly improved performance. Maybe I just got lucky???

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
What kind of accuracy are you looking for? This will get me flamed, but IMHO, a minute and a half is plenty accurate enough for a hunting rifle.

Reactions: ysacres
1 - 7 of 7 Posts