The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,058 Posts
Why did you replace the sear and extractor?

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,298 Posts
Just got the stuff to send my MK IV lower in for the recall. It's hard to make happen. BUT, I was able to get mine to fire twice, moving the safety to fire (with finger off the trigger), as Ruger indicated it can.

Get yours fixed

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just got the stuff to send my MK IV lower in for the recall. It's hard to make happen. BUT, I was able to get mine to fire twice, moving the safety to fire (with finger off the trigger), as Ruger indicated it can.

Get yours fixed
Took 12 days from when I dropped my box in the mail until I got it back, even with 4th of july holiday in the middle

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,298 Posts
Took 12 days from when I dropped my box in the mail until I got it back, even with 4th of july holiday in the middle
That's not bad. I'll be dropping mine off at the PO tomorrow morning. Will check back when it returns

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,298 Posts
At the PO? You're sending a handgun by mail?
Yep! :cool:

It is only the grip assembly, which has no serial. Thus it is not considered a firearm and can be shipped USPS.

At least that's what Ruger says. Should I be worried? :eek::)

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,298 Posts
If anyone is interested:

Instructions
IMG_0719.jpg

Prepaid box
IMG_0718.JPG

Now I'll try to quit hijacking the thread :rolleyes:

Reactions: texdon and dbcooper

·
Super Moderator
28,058 Posts
Yep! :cool:

It is only the grip assembly, which has no serial. Thus it is not considered a firearm and can be shipped USPS.

At least that's what Ruger says. Should I be worried? :eek::)
Looks like Ruger is correct and I was mistooken. I was under the impression that the frame/grip was serialized.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did you replace the sear and extractor?
I first heard about the recall from Davidson's, a distributor I deal with. My sales person told me that Ruger requested that they (Davidson's) pull all Ruger Mark IV pistols from availability and put sales on hold. I posted on another forum that something is going on with the Ruger Mark IV guns.
The picture of the one above is my personal pistol. The Ruger extractor on the Mark IV is the same, stamped steel type extractor that's been used since they first introduced the Ruger Standard in 1949. The business end of that stamped extractor does not capture the rim of a .22 cartridge case firmly enough to my liking and will let go of a spent case during extraction, which will cause "stove pipes" of spent cases. The factory Ruger extractor has some very bad roll-over burrs from the stamping die on the bottom of the extractor. Those burrs collect crud and that will impede the extractor from going through it's proper arc during the extraction process. So, I replace the extractor with a much better extractor, that I stock here, and has a much better profile that captures the case rim more positively. There is a reason the there are at least SIX aftermarket suppliers of extractors for the Ruger Mark pistol and 10/22. They use the same extractor, and I've tried each makers extractor and settled on the one that I've found works the best.
The sear was replaced with a Volquartsen Target sear that has a slightly sharper face angle and provides a trigger pull weight between 2½ & 3 pounds........safely.

My pistol doesn't do what the recall claims, as far as the safety is concerned, so, if I'm just after another magazine, I'll pull one from stock and continue to shoot this gun until the safety, if it ever does, screws up and then I'll contact Ruger. BTW, I've had 7 other, Ruger Mark IV's cross my bench and only 3 of those 7 had the safety issue, as described in the recall, malfunction when the safety was put in the "middle position". When all the safeties were put into either the "ON" of "OFF" position, the safety held just fine. All & of those customers were advised of the recall Ruger has on these pistols. It's up to them concerning what they want to do, but they've been made aware of the recall.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I had an airbag in my car that fell within the recall lots. It didn't fail on me, but I wasn't going to give it the opportunity to injure someone in my family. I had it replaced.

I think it is a mistake to ignore the recall until something happens. I hope you are not giving advice to ignore the recall to your customers. that is one gigantic hook you are placing yourself on

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need to go back and read the last "TWO" sentences in Post #14. You don't need to concern yourself with what I do, or don't do. I've had my gun repair business for over 45 years, and I've gotten along just fine without any advice from you. You'll probably have a full-time job just taking care of what you do.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You are correct, I don't care what you do.

What I care about is advice or suggestions, as a gunsmith, you may give to someone asking a question that could be damaging or dangerous. I simply pointed out that YOUR pistol is one under recall and could be registered wth Ruger for a free repair. You were the one who got defensive and aggressive

·
Super Moderator
41,377 Posts
You need to go back and read the last "TWO" sentences in Post #14. You don't need to concern yourself with what I do, or don't do. I've had my gun repair business for over 45 years, and I've gotten along just fine without any advice from you. You'll probably have a full-time job just taking care of what you do.
You are correct, I don't care what you do.

What I care about is advice or suggestions, as a gunsmith, you may give to someone asking a question that could be damaging or dangerous. I simply pointed out that YOUR pistol is one under recall and could be registered wth Ruger for a free repair. You were the one who got defensive and aggressive
It was actually post #13 (not 14) where it was stated in the last two sentences that the customers were "made aware of the recall and it is up to them what they do"! Paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it!

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for that correction and clarification! I guess some folks care more about starting an argument rather than noting the facts as they were actually stated.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,298 Posts
Yesterday, I received my retrofitted MK IV grip frame, and the free mag.

IMG_0823.JPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts