The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk, Model 0309 .357 Magnum, Stainless Steel with yellow grips (are they wood?). Based on serial number it was made in 1983.
I am trying to determine a fair market value. If anyone has helpful information that would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
Why is it missing the front sight? That ain't gonna help.

I would suspect the grips are bone. I wouldn't think they're ivory though bone makes a passing imitation.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is it missing the front sight? That ain't gonna help.

I would suspect the grips are bone. I wouldn't think they're ivory though bone makes a passing imitation.
Sight is missing because................I don't know why. And you did not give a value.

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
And you did not give a value.
Because I don't know the value. Ruger's don't fall within my areas of interest. I only responded about the grips.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
235 Posts
Someone will be by with all the details I'm sure.
I'm pretty sure that front sight can be replaced, but I'm just looking at a side view so not positive.
I'm not seeing a serial number which is a concern, or would be for me anyway.
Have no idea of the value but that missing serial number might hinder the sale, depending one who you try to sell to

·
No Power Options
13,607 Posts
One can only hope the serial number has been blurred. A front sight will be a big plus. Value with front sight probably around $650 in todays market.....give or take.
My plus would be it`s not a 3 screw. Stocks are a plus.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The gun has been refinished and is not a stainless gun. Someone stripped the gun and removed the barrel. They then tried to re-blue the frame which gave it a purple color. Supposedly the bluing salts do that to certain metals. A stainless steel gun would have a stainless steel frame. The grips are homemade and do not fit tightly.

Its value is a a single action 357 Mag, and would think $650 is high, even in the current market. I would estimate $500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One can only hope the serial number has been blurred. A front sight will be a big plus. Value with front sight probably around $650 in todays market.....give or take.
My plus would be it`s not a 3 screw. Stocks are a plus.
Thank you. Yes, I edited out the serial number. Really not anyone's concern. I confirmed the manufacture date is 1983

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The gun has been refinished and is not a stainless gun. Someone stripped the gun and removed the barrel. They then tried to re-blue the frame which gave it a purple color. Supposedly the bluing salts do that to certain metals. A stainless steel gun would have a stainless steel frame. The grips are homemade and do not fit tightly.

Its value is a a single action 357 Mag, and would think $650 is high, even in the current market. I would estimate $500.
Interesting. I am selling it for my family member. I am not the original owner. How can I confirm you are right about finish? The grips are tight and they have the Ruger symbol on them, look real to me. But regardless they look better then brown stock. I think it helps the value.

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
The grips are real, they just aren't original from Ruger. The emblems can be removed from the Ruger grips and re-installed.

Reactions: tedwitt and ral357

·
Registered
686 Posts
The grips are real what?
The grips are most likely made from stag horn.
When people in Ruger circles talk about "real" grips they mean horn grips that were factory installed by Ruger.
Original Ruger horn grips are fairly scarce and can drive up the value of a revolver. Problem is the Ruger emblems are easy enough to remove from wood grips or even buy outright to make fake "factory" horn grips.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Interesting. I am selling it for my family member. I am not the original owner. How can I confirm you are right about finish? The grips are tight and they have the Ruger symbol on them, look real to me. But regardless they look better then brown stock. I think it helps the value.
Its pretty easy to confirm. A Ruger Stainless New Model Blackhawk didn't have a purple frame, the entire gun would be Stainless. See photo below for a Stainless version. Also zoom in on the fit of the grips on the gun below and yours. Factory grips would be nice and tight with straight edges wherethe grip meets the metal. Your edges are not straight. Value is up to the person buying the gun, not the seller necessarily. People tend to pay more for something that has not been altered or changed.
17011970_2.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
I still think the grips are real bone but, I've been wrong before. Whatever they are, the revolver is significantly altered and the front sight is missing which lowers the value. To what I don't know...to me personally, maybe $200 but Ruger's aren't my choice of firearm.

Reactions: Firpo and ral357

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its pretty easy to confirm. A Ruger Stainless New Model Blackhawk didn't have a purple frame, the entire gun would be Stainless. See photo below for a Stainless version. Also zoom in on the fit of the grips on the gun below and yours. Factory grips would be nice and tight with straight edges wherethe grip meets the metal. Your edges are not straight. Value is up to the person buying the gun, not the seller necessarily. People tend to pay more for something that has not been altered or changed.
View attachment 250836
I don't know. This is one heavy gun. I put my Taurus that is stainless next to the Ruger. They look the same. I think they are just older worn guns. The Ruger looks just like my Taurus and it was not stripped. I am no expert but looks like stainless to me I pulled up a pic of a new Taurus like mine and it looks like your picture too. But it is also new. I mean i don't care one way or another but I want to make sure because I want to get the most out of the sale.

my gun new

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
I think there is something wrong with that finish. Almost looks like it was cleaned up with a wire brush.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't know. This is one heavy gun. I put my Taurus that is stainless next to the Ruger. They look the same. I think they are just older worn guns. The Ruger looks just like my Taurus and it was not stripped. I am no expert but looks like stainless to me I pulled up a pic of a new Taurus like mine and it looks like your picture too. But it is also new. I mean i don't care one way or another but I want to make sure because I want to get the most out of the sale.
Your first photos made the frame appear to have a purple hue, the new photos don't have that. That's why clear photos are important. Its a stainless frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
glad we got that straightened out. I thought the first picture was clear, but CLEARLY not..lol.

What do you think would be a fair market value for the gun as it is?

I still think the grips are real bone but, I've been wrong before. Whatever they are, the revolver is significantly altered and the front sight is missing which lowers the value. To what I don't know...to me personally, maybe $200 but Ruger's aren't my choice of firearm.
you can't even get a nice bb gun for 200.00...............PLEASE

·
Super Moderator
41,631 Posts
In post #7 Shrek said value at about $500, I personally think that is kind of high. Looking at my 2020 edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms, I am seeing this information for a New Model Blackhawk:

NIB: $500
Exc: $425
V.G: $300
Good: $200
Fair: $150

With that one missing the front sight and the possible aftermarket grips, it ain't going to be much better than in "Good" condition, so sharps6590 is pretty close with his $200 guestimate. BUT with todays prices of everything firearms being inflated, you might get $300 for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts