The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lower barrel on my o/u ruger red label is getting light hits on the primers. It works well with the brass primers like remingtons but the Federal and Estates with the steel or aluminum primers I get a fail to fire once or twice in 25 rounds. What should I look for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would suspect that the spring is gummed up. Try hitting the spring with some gun scrubber through the fireing pin hole if that doesn't work unless you are good at gun smithing I would have it cleaned and or repaired by a good gunsmith or send it back to ruger and let them repair it.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
There may be some brass shavings or fouling in the firing pin hole, or like was mentioned, the spring may be gummed. I have had some of my guns get stuff inside the firing pin hole and do what you are talking about. These were semi auto rifles, but the same applies. I dont know if you would be as likely to have the shavings in there, but it could still be the culprit as well as the dirt and powder and everything else you can think of. Give it a good cleaning and see if that does the trick.

·
Premium Member
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled it down this weekend and it looked clean but I sprayed brake clean in and around the firing pins. I am going to take it to the range this weekend to see if it helped. I paid for a lifetime warranty from the gun shop when I bought it for 10% of the sale price. Since it was made in 1989 I thought that was a wise move even though it looks like new.

I have my wife convinced it will be in the shop for a month or 2 so she has oked me getting a Browning BT-99 with 34" barrels. This could work out very well for me.

Thanks for the help guy's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.