The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, was looking at Ruger's web page at there Black Hawk. Looking at a .357. I see some were called Lipsey's. They look to be the same. What differnce is there, if there is any. Thank you.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Lipsey is a distributor. They look at the standard Rugers. Let's say, for example, Ruger makes Blackhawks with 4⅝" barrels, 6½" barrels, and 7½" barrels. And that's the only way you can get your Blackhawk. Lipsey thinks that they can sell a buttload of 5½" guns, so they call Ruger and have them make up a run of 2000 guns with 5½" barrels. And Ruger does. They don't have it as a regular gun that you can get anywhere. If you want that 5½" barrel Blackhawk your dealer has to order it from Lipsey.

Or maybe they have them made with a non-fluted cylinder. Or maybe they have them made with some special engraving. They will be slightly different than the standard cataloged gun, and if you want that particular type of gun your dealer has to order it from Lipsey

·
Premium Member
12,329 Posts
Buckeye distributors does the same thing, (I'd forgotten about Lipsey's!). To further Alpo's description, I have a Buckeye Ruger on the Blackhawk frame with a 6 1/2 in. barrel and 32-20 and 32 H&R Mag. cylinders. I don't think a 6 1/2 in. Ruger has been a catalog item since the 50's and I don't know that 32-20 was ever a catalog item.....but that needs confirmation.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
As Alpo states Lipsey doesn’t make them just, specs out a special run. They are Rugers100%, no better no worse than any Ruger off the line. If you see a Lipsey gun that you want you may want to buy it sooner rather than later. Some are available for a long time others disappear quickly never to be offered again.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I, was looking at Ruger's web page at there Black Hawk. Looking at a .357. I see some were called Lipsey's. They look to be the same. What differnce is there, if there is any. Thank you.
If your looking for one in stainless with a 9mm cylinder they are all sold out. If you find one the price has skyrocketed from what I’ve been looking at lately.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Alpo states Lipsey doesn’t make them just, specs out a special run. They are Rugers100%, no better no worse than any Ruger off the line. If you see a Lipsey gun that you want you may want to buy it sooner rather than later. Some are available for a long time others disappear quickly never to be offered again.
Does that mean Lipsey's hold there value, more. Or no more that any other. Another question, if I may. Lets say, you go to a gun show, you see, a Ruger Blackhawk, on one of the tables. Is there any way to know if it is Lipsey, or any one else. I, would guess one would need to be able to trace the serial no. Thank You

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Does that mean Lipsey's hold there value, more. Or no more that any other. Another question, if I may. Lets say, you go to a gun show, you see, a Ruger Blackhawk, on one of the tables. Is there any way to know if it is Lipsey, or any one else. I, would guess one would need to be able to trace the serial no. Thank You
Probably a little. Not many Rugers have become very valuable collectibles, yet that I know of. Rugers made in 1976 had special markings on the barrel commemorating the 200th year of the USA and they bring very little more than the same guns from the years before and after. That probably will change IMHO. As to identifying pistols as Lipseys..neither the guns or the boxes they come in have markings to indicate it. Some times it’s just barrel length or caliber that are different. I would imagine other than having an in depth knowledge of what standard guns have been made the serial number is the only sure way to know. Lipsey isn’t the only distributor that has had special runs. Even Walmart has had Ruger make special 10/22s for example.
This single seven should stand out immediately as not a regular run Ruger, a Lipsey
A4ACFA89-972C-4A60-A445-99DD2F329264.jpeg
one of these single six’s is a Lipsey the other regular Ruger production
20BBF333-D3E1-4C5F-A6D4-ACE77D2003EA.jpeg D342CE62-B038-4D00-87A1-6BFE8BDA8102.jpeg
the longer 5.5” barrel regular Ruger, the second 4.64” barrel Lipseys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts