Ruger SR22 vs Walther PPK Original .22lr vs Walther PPQ M2 .22lr

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Swiss_Gunner, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Swiss_Gunner

Swiss_Gunner Well-Known Member

Hello guys

I'm from Switzerland and I am thinking of buying my first semi-automatic .22lr pistol. Now I do own several firearms, such as a .22 lr Revolver, but stayed away from .22lr pistols since I experienced that they can be quite finicky. Nevertheless, I finally want to give it a try and I have already chosen 3 candidates.
    I want to use the .22lr pistol for training purposes, since I shoot a 9mm Glock 19 regularly.
    My question for you: Which one of these guns below would you suggest in terms of reliability?
    Ruger SR22
    Walther PPK .22 lr ("original" post war steel version, not the pot metal thingy by Umarex)
    Walther PPQ M2 .22lr

Since we don't have an "ammuntion crunch" here in Europe, getting my hands on high quality .22lr ammo is no big deal. In fact, they literally throw the stuff after you ^^

Please don't get mad if I have made some spelling/grammatical errors, since I am not a native speaker.

stay safe :)

BlackEagle likes this.
  2. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

I like the Ruger, it would be my choice since Hi Standard is not available these days (I like the one I have, would really like to find another) and welcome to the forum. I spent many layovers in Zurich, loved traveling thru Zermatt back in the 60's, and always felt at home with the Swiss. I lived in Berlin for several years, flying the IGS for PanAm. Yes, we envy you the availability of .22 rimfire, wish could share in your bounty.

Swiss_Gunner likes this.

3. Swiss_Gunner

Ruger indeed got good rep. What's the trigger pull like? Crisp? I heard mixed opinions about the SR22's trigger... So what is your experience? Can you hit a target 20 meters away? (130yards)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  4. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

Not sure of the trigger pull, but at my age, I have difficulty even seeing 20 meters, and hearing is really out of the question. You young lads have it all over us old guys...

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>Please don't get mad if I have made some spelling/grammatical errors, since I am not a native speaker.<

I read that and thought, "Man, I wish many of our 'native speakers' could/would use grammar and spelling that well."

And then you go and misspell YOU in your next post.
    >Can yo hit a target 20 meters away?< [​IMG]

That was a joke, by the way.

I have no idea about your question. I have a PPK in 380, and like it muchly, but the only 22 autos I have are Ruger Marks and a Colt Service Ace. I'm more of a "revolver guy".

Swiss_Gunner likes this.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

By the way - 20 meters is 22 yards - a meter being just shy of 40 inches, so 20 is 800 inches, divided by 36.

Did you mean "120" meters?

7. Swiss_Gunner

Oopsi, i meant 20 meters... I tried to help you guys understand our metric system and I only made the confusion worse...:eek: So what kind of metric system do you use on your gun ranges? yards? foot? meters??
    As for the spelling, you make me blush :oops: I don't consider myself a good writer, at least in English, but I try my best... If you see some "weird" spelling mistakes, that is because my mother tounge is German. For example, I often write "ist" instead of "is", since "ist" means "is" or "does" in German...
    Have a nice day/night, here in Switzerland it is already dark.

BlackEagle likes this.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Ruger SR 22 has gotten some very good reviews by those who actually shoot them, so good in fact I'm thinking about getting one. The PPK has a wow factor and is all steel. Trigger pull is heavy ( nature of the beast ) . If choice is between the PPK and the Ruger for range and training , me, myself, and I would go for the Ruger:) Good luck in what ever you choose and shoot safe.

Swiss_Gunner likes this.
  9. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be the Ruger Mark II or Mark III. I have a Ruger standard which is the forerunner of the Mark I and I own a Mark II. I purchased the Ruger standard in 1960 and there is no telling how many 10's of thousands of rounds I've fired and it still shoots as good today as it did in 1960. I replaced the firing pin in about 1980 or 1985 and that is all that has ever been done to the gun. I purchased the Mark II in 2004 because it is stainless and I got a very good deal.

By the way 20 meters is 21 yards and yes, it is accurate to 20 meters. The trigger is crisp and has about a 5 lb pull and short reset. The Mark II and Mark II pistols have steel frames vs the SR 22 which is polymer. I like the steel frame guns better than the plastic.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Danwin22 likes this.
  10. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I think most shooters in the U.S. are comfortable using meters, yards or feet. Most of the time people will use meters and yards interchangeably. They are slightly different of course but close enough for most shooting distances.

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with Stev's suggestion - the Ruger Mark II (I despise magazine disconnects, so don't consider the Mark III worth owning). Like him, I don't like plastic pistols. I have a Mark I and a Mark II. The steel frame and the grip angle are excellent. Had, for a short while, a 22/45, but (unlike the advertising) it never felt like a 1911's grip, and the plastic frame just felt bad. Had it about a year before selling it.

12. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

This is just a thought but have you considered a conversion kit for your 19? I like to train like I fight and using the same platform keeps it on an even playing field. Unless of course like most of us you just have to have a new pistol and subscribe to the manly position that "He who dies with the most toys wins":D

corriedewilde likes this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum Gunner. I also like the Ruger guns and again, I like the Mark II better.

14. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The guys at my LGS tell me the Ruger Sr is by far the best of this type of gun. They rent all of these and they never have any problems with it.

15. Swiss_Gunner

Thanks for all the replies!
    I have indeed considered a conversion kit my Glock, but stepped away, since it is the cost of a full sized gun around here, and not even reliable... 900Euros... That's about 1000 US-Dollars...
    I have had a chance to fire the Mark II, and what can I say, nice piece of steel. However, I wanted something more "modern" looking, if you know what I mean. Especially since I own and shoot a Glock, it seems only natural to me to buy a similar shaped gun for training, maybe even also with a polymer frame. (Polymer is not a bad thing in my opinion, but I agree, steel has the "wooow-factor")
    As for the SR22, I have read mixed reviews, but the same goes for most .22lr guns... :/ I just want to buy once...
    Does andybody have another recommandation besides the mentioned SR22, PPK, PPQ .22lr and MarkI/II/III?