Ruger SRM Barrel Throats

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

AL BUNDY
    (7/28/02 1:44:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All RUGER 357 MAXIMUM QUESTION
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently bought several Ruger barrels on a auction site.One was for a Ruger 357 Maximum revolver.The barrel is a factory 10-1/2 bull barrel with the front sight held on with a screw.Barrel has rifling going almost all the way to the rear except about the last 1/16th of a inch.There is no forcing cone.Is this normal? I looked at some 357 magnum barrels inside.They have about 3/16th of an inch before the rifling.The barrel is in excellent cont.with no erosion at the rear from firing the 357 maximum rounds.Is it possible did not ream the forcing cone at the factory?
    Al Bundy--------

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/28/02 1:43:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: RUGER 357 MAXIMUM QUESTION
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back in the late '80's I had occasion to work on two SRM revolvers. Both had insufficient barrel throats. I recut them with a smoother taper; subsequently accuracy increased and erosion/flame cutting decreased.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson