rugers for a carry gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by chilidog, May 30, 2020.

1. chilidog

chilidog Member

so my wife & i are going to be purchasing our first pistols for sport shooting & carry. we really like the looks & features of the ruger sr line. we were then told that they are not a good carry gun for reliability issues. we should get a glock or s&w for carrying what do you guys think

chaswea, ysacres, flboots and 3 others like this.
  2. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

I love my Rugers! I carry a SR9 on a daily basis and have had no problems with "printing" or comfort ( I carry OWB). Thankfully, I have not had to use it while carrying but I do take it to the range and keep my skills up. I have had zero problems with it, no FTE's or FTF's. I am confident enough in it to protect my family and myself with it on my side.

SilasW, Broot, sparkyv and 8 others like this.

3. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Whoever told you that is strongly opinionated.... IMHO Ruger makes very reliable firearms.
    But The best way to decide what gun to purchase is to hold the firearm in your hands, some are to big, small, blocky, narrow, wide. You will know the right one when it melts into your hand rather it be a Ruger or not.

SilasW, Broot, joe45c and 11 others like this.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I carry a LC9s mostly because it conceals easily but I also have a Security 9 for magazine capacity. Rugers are very reliable in my opinion.
    5D4BAC99-B37E-4431-9280-37D7FD147C4D.jpeg

Oh, ok. I am a Ruger junkie. :)

Like Larry said, find one that fits your hand and better yet rent it before you buy to make sure.

Make sure you check out the Ruger American Compact too.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    SilasW, Broot, joe45c and 8 others like this.
  5. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I carry my P94 in .40 cal on a daily basis, it's a little heavy but so am I.

SilasW, Broot, sparkyv and 10 others like this.
  6. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I carry a SR9C daily and have almost 10,000 rounds through it and it has been 100% reliable....not 1 single malfunction of the gun. That is as reliable as a gun can possibly get. I also get to choose the capacity as it comes with a 10 round mag and a 17 round mag.

17+1 capacity
    20200529_154224.jpg

10+1 capacity
    20200531_044941.jpg

Broot, sparkyv, ms6852 and 7 others like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I am not a semi-auto guy and have zero experience with any of those mentioned except the S&W Mod 39…(that should tell you something). However, that firearms salesman is blowing smoke up your skirts.

SilasW, Broot, joe45c and 9 others like this.
  8. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Ruger are good guns you may also want to compare Taurus line of firearms. I carry a Taurus 380 sub compact IWB and it conceals good and is lite. Not a range gun as alot of sub compacts are snappy. Like other have said rent them and try them out. Looks arn't everything.

ms6852, One Shot, drymag and 3 others like this.
  9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Smith and Glock both make very reliable handguns, so does Ruger. Pick out one that seems to fit you. Then do a little research on that particular model to see if it has any warts you can't live with. The vast majority of offerings by first tier manufacturers these days are reliable but occasionally some stinkers still appear.

Broot, sparkyv, ms6852 and 7 others like this.
  10. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I certainly would not rate Ruger's quality any lower that Smith or Glock.
    The saleman was selling.
    I just rated all 3 similar, so far most of TFF have comparable opinions.
    That being said, I wouldn't own a Glock.
    Your salesman feels that way towards Ruger.

Broot, joe45c, sparkyv and 7 others like this.
  11. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

I think you need better friends to listen too. I haven't had any issues with my Rugers except for that Jam-O-matic LCP II

tedwitt, ms6852, One Shot and 2 others like this.
  12. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

My SR9 has never given me any issues. I enjoy shooting it.

13. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Ruger = quality products

Broot, sparkyv, drymag and 5 others like this.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I have more Rugers than I have any thing else. I can't think of any problems with any one of them, ever!

Broot, sparkyv, drymag and 4 others like this.
  15. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Many sales people mean well but haven't a clue and as was mentioned are very opinionated. They may be as knowledgable as you or as lacking in knowledge and experience as you may or may not be. When you purchase a firearm big name companies remain big name companies because their products work and are reliable. With anything mechanical there is always a break in period and on occasion there is the human variable that may throw a wrench in the gears and a product was not up to QC standards. Also there is a difference between going cheap and going inexpensive. Going cheap may get you an unreliable product which does not necessarily apply to inexpensive. If I were you I would buy the Rugers if that is what you like. I don't own ruger handguns but do own rifles and they are pretty good and inexpensive as well. Buy the ruger with confidence .

chilidog, ysacres, joe45c and 2 others like this.