The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some reports that black powder may have been used in the pressure-cooker bombs at the Boston Marathon. Will this result in additional regs on the sale of black powder?

If the Boston bombs employed black powder, then the next question is whether it was purchased at retail or if it was homemade. It certainly could have been homemade from readily available materials.

Further restricting the retail sale of 1-lb cans of black powder wouldn't accomplish much, if anything. So, I don't expect any regulatory changes.

Here in Illinois, which is pretty restrictive, I can easily buy black powder from licensed distributors - but I have to present my state firearm owners I.D. card (FOID) and other info. No problem.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Except for the fact that some #¤%&+§§ liberal senator just introduced a bill requiring the 'standard' background check for all black powder and smokeless powder sales.....

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Next we will have pressure cooker registration with backround checks, and a call for closing the cooking show loophole.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
Next we will have pressure cooker registration with backround checks, and a call for closing the cooking show loophole.
No they are only looking for common sense laws that will only limit the capacity of the pressure cooker to 1 quart. That way when you make a bomb out of it you will only hurt a limited amount of people. See that's the way to think.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
liberal senator just introduced a bill requiring the 'standard' background check for all black powder and smokeless powder sales.....
In Illinois, you have to show your FOID card to buy powder or primers - and obtaining a FOID card requires a background check. So we're "there" already, and have been for well over a decade.

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
I hope everybody already has their pressure cooker. That way we'll be grandfathered into tender juicy meats.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I'm going to have the wife keep hers in the vault.

Danged idiot Liberals.......... With the current ammo prices, I was going to get out the ole .58 Springfield to keep in practice with and save the modern ammo stash for a rainy day. At 30 cents a pop (and up) for .22 long rifle, blackpowder and caps would have been cheaper to shoot. Might have to start useing a sling shot instead.

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
And, why would anybody ever need more than one pressure cooker?

·
TFF Chaplain
20,449 Posts
No...it's only the pressure cookers with scary features, like extra long handles, specially designed valves, and as said above, high capacity that need to be banned. The legislation for registering cooks is being drafted even now, and will be available for immediate vote, once the authors can find a truck large enough to haul it around. Don't worry, though. Once you pass it you will have all the time in the world to find out what's in it.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Except for the fact that some #¤%&+§§ liberal senator just introduced a bill requiring the 'standard' background check for all black powder and smokeless powder sales.....
Saw this coming at the first mention of gun powder by the press.

·
Registered
609 Posts
They have gun powder purchase laws in Boston Mass. You must be licensed by the state to purchase any kind of gun powder, primers, brass, bullets or completed ammo.

Apparently, it did not deter the suspected bombers, however.

CNN is reporting that the cops now believe they purchased fireworks in new hampshire.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,449 Posts
CNN is reporting that the cops now believe they purchased fireworks in new hampshire.
We need an explosives permit to purchase black powder over here, but there is no charge for it if you have a fire arms certificate. We need a specially constructed wooden box to store it in, and the police will check that. But we have to laugh, because people (age restriction--I think it's 18 years old and over) can walk into the local supermarket and buy all the black powder they want whenever fireworks are being sold--around Guy Fawkes' day. It's just not as cost effective.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unfortunately, in the USA we have lots of sheepish fools who gladly give up guns, powder, ammo and their right to be free of unreasonable search and seizures. This reminds me of the UK which is troubling since we are supposed to be a free society that respects individual rights.

We just had 10,000 cops shut down an entire city and 7 adjacent towns in order to catch one 19 year old teen. In the end, the cops were NOT successful. It took one Boston citizen who ignored the cop's order to stay inside and who ventured out in his back yard to discover the suspect.

What will it take next time to shut down a major city and to inflict illegal government searches on the public? ....maybe a kid stealing bubble gum at a 7/11.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who's the goof behind the bill?

As for BP supplies, it'd my understanding the idiots bought a lot of firecrackers and removed the black powder. As I understand it, those two wackos didn't buy black powder directly but then I could be wrong.

tyc

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Who's the goof behind the bill?
I believe it was NJ's Lautenberg. He'd been jabbering about introducing such a measure ever since the Boston tragedy, even though it turned out the bomber had bought the makings from a fireworks retailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts