Rural King can`t replenish ammo or guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by fisherman346, May 12, 2020.

1. fisherman346

fisherman346 Active Member

Any one heard about Rural King can`t replenish their guns or ammo once they run out ? a store employee told me that since they are owned from Illinois they will only have their existing stock to sell untill when ever in the future. I hated to hear that because they were the go to for cheap name brand ammo.

Limbo Jimbo and tedwitt like this.
  2. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Not sure where this started, but I work there in the gun department. All I can tell you is it's BS. We have trucks arriving every day (yes the warehouse IS in IL) bringing both firearms and ammo. Problem is, there are three or four times as many people buying. They have taken stupid to a new level. There is a two box per caliber limit, per customer, per visit. Many are coming in in the mornings then returning in the afternoon. 9x19, .380 and 5,56 are bought out within hours. Same with firearms like AR's and double stack 9mm and .380 handguns. I'm to the point that it doesn't bother me in the least to tell people that, if they weren't prepared before, there's no way they can get there now in a week.
    Prices haven't risen. Items are listed in the bi-monthly flyer at the everyday price and people think they are on sale due to the lower prices compared to other places.
    At today's morning meeting I was advised that large shipments will arrive next week to try to "get ahead" but I suspect more panic buying will deplete it pretty fast. Wal Mart's anti-gun policies has driven lots of buyers to other sources, Rural King being one of them. I have told lots of people to go on-line and order ammo. They act like I'm crazy and have all kinds of excuses not to.
    As was discussed in another thread, people are rude, arrogant, demanding and whiney when they don't get their way immediately. It's double when it comes to the gun department.

3. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

That has been easier said than done as of late. A lot of online stores are in the same situation as the brick and mortar stores. Ammo is selling out almost as fast as they get it. You need to be checking for stock updates every day. Even if you do manage to order it, most of them are working with a skeleton crew so shipping takes forever.

You were right when you said if someone isn’t prepared they’re not getting there now.

4. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Last time I ordered on-line was about a month ago, so maybe it's changed some. Still get e-mails from two places that say they have ammo in stock though. One thing I have noticed is that RK isn't getting the steel cased 5.56 like we used to.

5. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

It looks like if you cant get pistol ammo. than time to find another firearm. I see lots of shotgun ammo on the shelves.

6. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

The MO turkey season wiped out stocks of shotshells in shot sizes #4-6 of 12 ga. Buck shot is still on the shelves and #7 1/2 and 8 can be bought by the case. "Tactile" shotguns are being bought by mostly younger "paintball" types, clueless about firearms in general. Buying because it "looks cool."

7. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Ammo that arrived today: .223 REM, .308 Win, 30/06, 9x19mm, .22LR, .45 Colt. .22 LR (Remington) is priced at $40.00 per 1000 rnds.
    Firearms: Taurus G2, Taurus G3, S&W M&P1522, Ruger EC. There were more firearms that arrived but hadn't been brought out yet due to not being entered into the inventory when I left a 3:00 pm.
    Another truck arrives tomorrow with more.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

How much is your 9mm going for? I've been looking for a thousand rounds and the cheapest place is The Sportsman's Guide, Blazer Brass for $189.99 but never in stock!!.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And that is why I learned to reload

shootbrownelk likes this.
  10. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I need to find a Rural King!!!

chaswea and shootbrownelk like this.
  11. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

$40 for 1000 rounds of .22LR? That’s $0.04 a round. Nice!

chaswea likes this.
  12. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

500 round boxes @ $20.00, limit of two per customer per visit. Armscor for $19.90 per 500. Both are copper plate hollow point.

chaswea, shootbrownelk and WillieB like this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

If your talking to me, I do reload but I want a 1000 rounds of new fresh ammo to shoot up at the TN BBQ through my new CX-4 storm, just like I bought 500 rounds of new fresh .45ACP year before last to shoot through my .45 High Point carbine.

chaswea, shootbrownelk and howlnmad like this.
  14. fisherman346

fisherman346 Active Member

A store employee in the gun department told me that . What you say is reassuring but every time I stop by either of the 2 stores by me they have empty shelves and almost nothing for guns. Taking into fact of people buying up of course. I also shop Gander Outdoors they have good stock on guns but just started to run down on the 2 biggys 9 and 556. I was at the range today and their to the point where they have a new supplier for 9mm and can only be bought for use at the range. Decent price but down side is its re manufactured ammo.

chaswea likes this.
  15. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Blazer 9mm is going for $17.97 for a box of 100. Not selling case lots yet. Still stuck with the 2 box per caliber per person. The RK price is pretty much in line with SG. It's a PIA, but if you came in 5 times, a 1000 rounds could be had easily. Oddly, if you look on line (RKgun.com) it states sold out, they are available in our store though.
    There's also Federal 5.56 M855 in the 1680 round wooden crates for $799.00. 10 of them sitting on the floor plus more in the back. Haven't sold a single one. Lots of people complaining wanting to know when we'll bust them up into smaller lots, because they can't spare the money. Fact is, we're not. I suggest they go in with a few others and split the cost. As usual, they roll their eyes and walk off. On the other hand 250 round plastic ammo cans of 6.5 Creedmoor FMJ are going out the door as fast as I can put them out for $150.00 each.
    Don't know about stores in OH, but ours has ammo. It just sells as fast as we can get it off the truck.

chaswea and shootbrownelk like this.