The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this russian makarov and from what i have read they go for a pretty good price if you get the right ones.My question is whats this one worth?Both frame and slide have this # on it A KO 82721 but also has a number on the frame and its RS02898.On left side of slide it has IJ70-18AH made in Russia by IMEZ on the right it has Cal.9mm Makarov K.B.I.--ING.HBG.PA. The coating is in great condition about90-93% grips are in excellent shape has adjustable rear sight and looks like double stackable mags.Would really appreciate any info you folks could help me with.Thanks....

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
FEG SMC-918

sorry to say but its not a true Russian as stated on the gun but a hungarian PA-63 sub model made in Russia

K.B.I., Inc,of Harrisburg, PA, began importing this small Hungarian-made pistol in mid-1993, but its history dates back to the late 1950s. At about the same time FEG began making the Model PA-63 (see listing below), it also developed a smaller PPK-sized 9mm Makarov caliber pistol, called the RK-59. An excellent little pistol, similar to Poland's Model vz.63, it is highly regarded in military circles, serving the Hungarian military and police forces.

FEG SMC-918

When K.B.I. observed the popularity of the SMC-380 in the U.S., it decided to import the 9mm Makarov version, the SMC-918. The Hungarians had made this model (with slight modifications) since the late 1950s, with importation beginning in late 1994.

Later models ( ij70 ibj-70 ij90 where made in Russia by Baikal IZH-Mash and imported for KBI ) these are hungarian licenced versions not Russian licenced versions .. ( what the differences are i dunno , i've made some horror monstors from various parts that worked ok )

due to the flood and variances and KBI's poor service history these dont bring a lot 4 sales at auction within the past year show between 200 and 300 dollars

funny but folks dont know its a hungarian cause of KBI's licence .. and parts are plentiful

but folks who go to KBI looking for parts and told they aint available complain online and so the rep is made , bad ...

but its a PA-63 and parts are a plentiful and that model can be fitted to take the adoptive .380 cal barrel and they too are not rare but the standard 9mm are and bring a top price, but real Ruski makarov parts rarely fit , but the hungarians do

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Are you sure about the PA63 connection Jack?
The IJ70-18 is as pure to the original PM as can be, except for the double-stack mag and adjustable sights.
I've got several Baikal Maks here, and we sold a lot of em. I never did pick up one of the hi-cap versions because the mags were too high priced when they were popular on the market
In the early 90s, the single-stack IJ70s sold for 150 or so new (distributor pricing). The hi-cap was 30 higher.
On the used market, either IJ70 is worth about 100-150 these days regardless of caliber.

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
mate its all book stuff to me on this one and happy to be corrected

i've a early and mid soviet mak and put together some horrid looking critters from parts , ruski's fit ruskis hungarian fit hungarian and they dont cross well, some do most dont , or thats my experience

i have not seen a non ex mil one here and no new ones since gun control hit and this i think is post gun control from what i read ( but that too could be wrong

all info on KBI's beside one early ex mil one is from Gene Gangarosa's "Complete Guide to Compact Handguns"

the ex mil KBI i had for a couple years , great little gun but i'm limited on how many semi hand guns i can have so it went for a build ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts