The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Russian ammo like wolf and sliver bear?Are they ok I have heard that some of the fouling from them can be bad for your gun.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
You've probably heard some confused "mixed together" stories.

Most "comm-blok" military surplus ammo is corrosive primed. I actually think all of it is, but I hate to make a "all" or "none" statement. And the fouling from corrosive-primed ammo can be bad for your gun.

The Russian commercial stuff, like Wolf and Silver Bear, are non-corrosive primed. The fouling is no more harmful than any other "ammo fouling".

Some ammo is "dirtier" than others. This is because of the powder used. Some powder burns better than others, so more of it is burned up, so there is less residue left in the gun, so it is "cleaner". But this does not just apply to Russian ammo. I can shoot Federal 22s all year long, and never have to clean my guns. I shoot Winchester Wildcats, however, and can't get through a box before my gun is so filthy I'm worried about it continuing to work. Wildcats are filthy. Not harmful, but filthy.

Maybe some of the Russian commercial stuff is dirty. I haven't noticed that, but I don't shoot much Russian.

I don't like Russian ammo, 'cause I don't like to shoot steel cases in my non-comm-blok guns. But I don't think the fouling is any problem.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I shoot Russian ammo all the time and I like it. Some say its hard on extractors but I say in order to break an extractor, the steel must be harder than the extractor and the ammo cases are not. But, some refuse to shoot it. I wish they would send it all to me.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
I believe that my "non-Russian" guns, that were designed to work with brass cased ammo, can be harmed by using steel cases. My comm-blok guns, which were designed for steel-cased ammo, I have no worries about.

Many say that that is an old wives' tale - that steel cases will not hurt your guns.

Wonderful. Them folks can shoot steel. I happen to believe otherwise. I may be wrong. It may not hurt the gun at all. BUT - as long as there is brass available, I will use brass.

Also steel cases are, pretty much, non-reloadable. It CAN be done - there are people that do it. But brass is so much easier to reload, and I reload. Why pay, 50 cents (for example) for a shell and throw the case away. If I buy ten rounds, it costs me five dollars. But if I buy a shell for 75 cents, and then reload the empty brass case for a quarter, ten shots costs me 3.25. And the more reloads I get out of that case, the cheaper it all is.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Wolf and Tula I have used. No problems. If you use the corrosive stuff, just put some Windex down the barrel. It eliminates it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wolf and Tula I have used. No problems. If you use the corrosive stuff, just put some Windex down the barrel. It eliminates it.
Have used both and have not had any problems other than the extractor on an old 1911 broke. Might be age or ammo but I still shot it. Mostly 7.62x39 and 223/5.56 was not aware of any corrosive problems. Will have to remember the Windex trick better to be safe. Thanks

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i have shot literally tons of wolf and tula.. no issues.

i have shot tons upon tons upon tons of milsurp steel cased berdan primed 762x39 and 762x54 over the years.

never had a single issue.. ever.

( those are all in milsurp guns too )

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i've shot NEW tula / wolf steel cased ammo in ar's with no issues as well.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I guess I am a gluten for punishment. I would prefer brass but it seems that steel is what is usually most available. So, give me steel!! I will take all you got.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
have you been using the tula brassmax? i bought 1 box of it.. but have been saving it.. it's in 762x39.. looks boxer primed.. so I'm assuming reloadable.. :)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I shoot a lot of Commie ammo in my Commie guns, corrosive and non, I just don't store my stuff away dirty. Corrosive gets a Windex rinse then cleaned as usual. Shot a few boxes of the Tulammo in my P95, seemed a bit under-powered or at least the Ruger didn't like it much so didn't buy any more. Shot the Tula in the SW40VE that I had and it ate it fine. I don't recall anyone really saying they ran into problems other than some folks with AR's.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
Stop using it!!!! ITS BAD. Here i'll pm you with my address. You guys can ship it to me and I will dispose of it for you all.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
I've shot various Russian brands through my 9mm's and .30 Carbine. I've been buying .223 lately, but haven't shot it yet.

With the .30 carbine, I noticed very inconsistent shot groups with the Tula Ammo. Previously, I had only shot 9mm and never noticed a difference. Would you guys recommend sighting an AR in with brass ammo before shooting with the Russian, or do you find no difference?

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
have you been using the tula brassmax? i bought 1 box of it.. but have been saving it.. it's in 762x39.. looks boxer primed.. so I'm assuming reloadable.. :)
No, I havent used any of this yet.

·
Garandaholic
9,520 Posts
I've shot various Russian brands through my 9mm's and .30 Carbine. I've been buying .223 lately, but haven't shot it yet.

With the .30 carbine, I noticed very inconsistent shot groups with the Tula Ammo. Previously, I had only shot 9mm and never noticed a difference. Would you guys recommend sighting an AR in with brass ammo before shooting with the Russian, or do you find no difference?
I guess it depends on your skill. For ME, there's no real difference. Perhaps that's because in the accuracy equation, generally I am the weak link, not the gun or the ammo. Yep, I'll step up and own that statement. I'd wager the large majority of shooters are similar. I can hit what I'm aiming at, but to say a grouping that differs by an inch or 2 is because of the ammo/gun is less likely than me just differing by an inch or 2.

There are folks on either side of the "metal cases damage my gun" issue.
I've tried to get real data on that and it just seems like a religeous argument, you either believe or you don't
The only thing I can find that makes real sense is some steel cased ammo has a coating on the case. This coating can melt inside a hot chamber and cause issues. When I shoot steel, I don't leave a round in a hot chamber. Solved.

The price though, there is no doubt there, it's cheaper. In some cases WAY cheaper.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

30carb tula .. nice. whish it sold here..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts