RV flooring upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Mak, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member

Fun project!
    As many of you know I picked this up 2 years ago from Dad for $9k in MN, still had new sticker on certain parts of the interior, that's how good the condition was, always garaged. The carpet was pretty trashed after 5 months living in this full time on the Texas Gulf and San Diego this past winter. Preparing it for our next Texas adventure this winter when not at our home on Flathead Lake MT.

I upgraded the flooring and repainted the interior. Still waiting on new shades (backorder)

1 day for tear out, and it, took 2 days for 170 sq feet, about 4 hours per day as I'm 60 and the body doesnt cooperate with my young mind. [​IMG]

It is SmartCore vinyl plank, lock in place, foam backed, from Lowes. Free floating except on the edge of the slide (liquid nails) and around the door area. Cut with a razor knife and break.

3/4 " flexible molding (Amazon)

I used Kilz paint on the wall paper followed up by 2 coats of off white interior paint.

We got rid of the RV kitchen table and put in a beautiful antique table.

I'll do the bedroom either this fall or next year.

Link to all the photos here
    https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Yellowstone-interior-project

Before after-X2.jpg

tuckerd1, drymag, ms6852 and 14 others like this.
  2. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

At 60 your still a kid to me. :)

4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It really looks good! Almost every RV caries the warning in the owners manual that occupying this RV in certain seasons or full time will cause undue wear on textiles & appliances. Most are designed for use two weeks out of the yr & stored under cover or waxed weekly.
    I have owned one type of RV or another since the 60's. The carpeting, upholstery, faux leather & gel coats are crap. The glues they use for bonding outer wall sections & compartment doors either aren't applied correctly or just plain don't hold up. I drive around camp grounds all the time & nearly every unit that's a few yrs old shows signs of delamination. When I traded in my last 5th wheel, the carpet was faded, the faux leather recliners & couch looked like someone peeled the skin off a cow & several doors & spots on the outside walls showed signs of delamination.
    The dealer I traded it to said it's all too common & that anything they take on trade they usually just wholesale to an outfit that takes them south of the border to sell. My top of the line Montana was just 4 yrs old.
    I must be crazy because I still keep buying them. I just ordered my next one. The factory is so behind they can't even give a build date. It better come by Nov so Mrs. Geezer & I can get back to The Gunshine State.

drymag, reflex1, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

6. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

What a difference. That looks great.

7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

8. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Is that the very smooth flooring that will put you on your head when in stocking feet? I installed some for an old (I was younger then) lady in a hallway. She called me 2 days later and had me remove it all and put down hardwood. Neither her or her dogs could walk on it safely. I just wondered if it was the same type of flooring.

drymag, tedwitt, joe45c and 4 others like this.
  9. Big Mak

Nah, it has texture. Wife is buying an area rug. She absolutely hated vacuuming the burbur carpet that we had. Now it will be "Take the rug out and shake it, sweep the floor".

10. Big Mak

Thanks GG, I agree with you to a point about quality/longevity....

RV's made before 2008/2009 are much better quality than modern ones. The reason is the crash forced RV manufacturers to consolidate to Thor industries (notorious for crappy products before the mergers) and cut costs in order to make a profit when orders failed to come in.

The Gulfstream was one of the more expensive RVs in its day and they are extremely well built.

We've owned 6 RVs now since 2001, ranging from a traveler trailer, Class C, 2 truck campers (still have 1 truck camper too) and this 5th wheel.

Speaking of rebuilding, I tackled this project in my RV garage in WA state back in 2008. Bought the C dirt cheap as I knew it had dry rot in the overhead bed. I ended up putting about $2400 into it. Sold it 7 years later for the same amount of money I had into it.

Camper2.JPG
    Camper24.JPG

Camper23.JPG

Camper26.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

drymag, Gudaki, joe45c and 4 others like this.
  11. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

I put the same stuff in my friend's basement gun room. He is in a powered chair and the carpet was tore up real bad. I told him the only way I'd do it is if he bought the absolute best available. That 20x35 room took a lot of work but the result is light years better

drymag, BlackEagle, Gudaki and 7 others like this.
  12. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

That's a very nice improvement!

drymag, Big Mak and tedwitt like this.
  13. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Wow, what a great improvement. Hey did you ever make it to San Antonio to the museum? Waited for a phone call.

Big Mak, tedwitt and drymag like this.
  14. Big Mak

We did, it was short dash trip to the Alamo, no river walk though. Will try to hook up between Dec and April this upcoming winter as we plan to return to Port A again!

BlackEagle and ms6852 like this.
  15. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Do that, Lunch or Dinner will be on me.

BlackEagle and Big Mak like this.