S&B Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by FreedomAndForgiven, May 14, 2017.

1. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Have you had any issues with S&B primers? At $19.99/1000 the price is very attractive.

drymag likes this.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The disadvantage of the primers not all facing the same way (all bottoms up) is that it means you have to get them all bottoms up to use primer pickup tubes for progressive presses or auto primer tools. That means using a primer flipper tool. If they are already all one way you don't have to shake the tool at all. I much prefer all bottoms up for my purposes. I gain no knowledge seeing both side of the primers. I trust that they are all the same from the manufacture. I have confidence in American primer manufacturers to get all of the same primers in the package. I don't know about bargain primer manufacturers. S&B ought to be a better foreign reloading component manufacturer but are they???? I never have had a bit of trouble with Winchester or Federal or CCI primers. So unless I just can not get American primers, I'll stick with them. Proven reliability is more important to me than saving a few pennies on primers.

But we all get to choose. The above is just my thinking on the matter.

LDBennett

3. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have loaded over 50.000 S&B small pistol primers (for 9mm) and a couple of 1000 large pistol (for .45) and haven't had an issue with them yet. No light strikes and they are easy to seat

In my experience a primer is a primer is a primer and I use the most affordable ones.

soundguy, gdmoody and rcairflr like this.
  4. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Well it clearly states "small rifle" primer's. Anyone that has been reloading more than a couple days knows a small primer will not stay in a large primer pocket and a large primer will not go into a small pocket. From what was said earlier in this post I though they claimed their primer would cover all base's. It will but you still have to choose the right one!

gdmoody and howlnmad like this.
  5. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

I have ran their primers almost exclusively over the years because they were cheap, and easy to get. I've only had like 2 fail to fire but those primers fell on the floor in my office and I picked them up, and put them right back in my priming tool. I didn't double check the top to make sure it snapped, and it popped open on me.

They're not $19.99 by me anymore, and a couple years back I got several bricks for $14.99 when Cabela's had a special sale. Now they're like $26 to $29 a brick which is the sane as other brands.

rcairflr likes this.
  6. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

My LGS's don't carry S&B primers. I've seen good pricing online for them but the haz-mat fee kills any savings. All my primers are either Federal, Winchester, CCI or Remington.

howlnmad likes this.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

That pricing is the old scheme where you introduce a product at a lower price to get people to buy it over some other brand. The seller hopes you will stop doing price comparing once you get use to buying their product. Hence, $20 to begin with and $30 now, the same as almost all the American primers.

I remember going through this with Accurate Arms (AA) powders. I developed several loads with AA7 because it was so much cheaper than W231 per shot. But now AA powders are the same as everyone else. Do I go back to W231 and develop loads again? Probably not unless AA powders are hard to get...which is what happen a couple years back. So I was forced to develop new loads. Will I get more AA7? NO. I have many pounds of W231 so I might as well stick with it for almost all my pistol loads (except real magnum cartridges). While powder availability is good today, for the most part, I think we here in CA will see that reverse when the ammo controls are turned on this year. We will have to buy a license and pass a records search for felonies to buy ammo and register it at the time of sale. Many will just take up reloading and I believe there will be a run on reloading components again here in CA.

LDBennett

8. rcairflr

As I stated in an earlier post, just last week I bought S&B Primers at Calelas for $19.99.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I got an email from Cabela's last week showing them at $19.99. At that price, even with a $35 hazmat fee, you can buy 5,000 of them and it is still cheaper than buying 5,000 of any other brand without hazmat!! If I had needed any primers when I got the email, I would have bought a case or two of them.

SilasW, soundguy and howlnmad like this.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remember when wolf and tula primers were dirt cheap?

gdmoody likes this.
  11. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Not in the ar. I'm not shooting for precision. They go bang. They should be fine in accuracy as their es/sd numbers are better than most.

soundguy likes this.
  12. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I use a franklin to load my primers in a tube and it inverts primers as needed. I was being facetious on orientation. The es/sd according to some sights I found prior to buying them show better numbers than many others. But I only use them in ar's and not for long range accuracy.

13. rcairflr

Shot a box of 45 ACP with my $19.99 Cabelas S&B primers, everyone of them went boom.. Think I'll buy some more.

drymag likes this.
  14. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

To save anywhere from 10 to 15 bucks I will shake a little.:) I still use the old pick up tubes so I do the ones that are wrong first flip it over and do the rest. ;)

drymag, gdmoody and vassago like this.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Think of the packaging of the CCI primers from a few years ago. All of the primers were stacked in the sleeve on edge, they sure as hell didn't all fall the same way when dumped on the primer flipper!!

drymag, slayer and soundguy like this.