The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Could someone give me any info on this revolver?
I know it's in 38S&W but specifically when it was made? It is pre-1898?

The serial is 1 9 6 7

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,283 Posts
That's a 3rd Model 38 Single Action. In the 20 years it was made, 1891 to 1911, they made 26 thousand of 'em, so with your SN under 2000, it would logically be pre-1895. Truthfully, though, the only way to be sure is to get in touch with S&W.

They came two different ways. Normal, with a round "half-moon" front sight and simple notch rear, and target, with an adjustable target rear and a "Paine Front sight pinned to a raised boss. Can't see your rear at all, but the front does not look to be on a "raised boss", but it is certainly not a rounded blade, so it has been modified. That will lower value slightly.

Comparing to the pix in the book, I would rate that as "Very Good". The book lists a VG one as 650, but book price are always out of date, and the book was published in '06, so it is very out of date.

The book also says that 5 and 6 inch barrels are scare, and that model is difficult to find anyway.

Before the election, I would have valued it at around a grand, but since then everyone wants Evil Black Rifles, and I would presume that the "want" for that type gun has dropped.

Soooo, maybe 800?

Oh, check the SN on the barrel. The 38DA barrel will fit on a 38SA frame, and if someone had repaired it in the past, by putting a DA barrel on it, that would lower value. Make sure the number on the barrel matches the number on the grip.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Oh, check the SN on the barrel. The 38DA barrel will fit on a 38SA frame, and if someone had repaired it in the past, by putting a DA barrel on it, that would lower value. Make sure the number on the barrel matches the number on the grip.
The barrel patent dates fit a double action; a Model 1891 Single Action should read:

"Model of 91" and "Pat'd Apr. 20. 75. Feb / 20 & Dec. 18.77 .May 11 80"

The oversize target grips are also not standard.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
need better closeups, but it show signs of being refinished--buffed screw heads, possible buffed out corrosion and reblueing. Maybe not...hard to tell from the pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas!

This revolver belongs to another Gentleman whom I've been in contact with who's trying to find out more about it and it's worth as well.

I'll point him here and see if he can provide more pics.
I know he wants to sell or trade for it.

Thanks again for the great info so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone thanks for all of the info on my 38 S&W. Just a couple of more things to add regarding it. There is no serial number on the barrel and I can't take the grips off to check under them as one of the screws won't come loose from rhe nut side they spin together. The front sight looks to have been replaced and the rear is just a small v notch. I'm looking to trade or sell it pm me if interested.

Thank You,

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There is no serial number on the barrel
There should be. It's behind the "ears" under the barrel latch. The numbers are quite small and can be hard to see.... Sometimes they are covered by crud....

Here's an example:

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the inside right half of the barrel latch I found only a "67" stamped in there

There should be. It's behind the "ears" under the barrel latch. The numbers are quite small and can be hard to see.... Sometimes they are covered by crud....

Here's an example:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sometimes the numbers are split with half on the left side and the other on the right. Also, could you see the numbers on the bottom of the latch and the rear of the cylinder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn't see any numbers on the bottom of the latch and 1967 is on the cylinder, I'll try cleaning a little more and see what I can come up with.

Sometimes the numbers are split with half on the left side and the other on the right. Also, could you see the numbers on the bottom of the latch and the rear of the cylinder?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts