The Firearms Forum banner

S&W 1917 Caliber Change

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  antiquedr 
#1 ·
AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(4/16/02 7:20:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Can S&W do a caliber change on a M-1917
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got this old M-1917 .45 acp, can a S&W .44 special cylinder and 5.5 inch barrel in the white be made to work in this frame? Barrel is probably 40s or 50s, cylinder maybe 30s or 40s era.

Will S&W do any work on these old guns.

Gunguy

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(4/16/02 8:04:09 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Can S&W do a caliber change on a M-1917
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks to me like they do custom barrel installation. Here is the link. They give a phone # to call

www.smith-wesson.com/spor...thing.html

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(4/16/02 10:21:24 pm)
Thanks, warpig. I'll try and call them tomorrow.

GG

SW Man
V.I.P. Member
(4/18/02 3:46:17 pm)
Let us know what they say. I was thinking that the 44mag cylinder was too long for the 1917 frame. (?) Most of the 44mags were made on the N frame and the 1917 is the early N frame. Thoeritically they should work and time.
The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

AGunguy
*TFF Staff*
(4/18/02 4:43:34 pm)
SWman, I've been so darn busy seeing doctors for my wife and myself that I haven't had time to call S&W.

But one thing I do know, don't attempt to put a .44 mag cylinder in a 1917 frame, don't know if it would fit...but if it did you would most likely ruin the frame in the course of time as it is of softer steel from another generation of gun making.

You could convert it perhaps to 44-40, .44 special, .45 Long Colt. If you got the barrel and cylinder to do it.

Gunguy

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.