The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a small trailer park and one of are trailers has been empty for over 2 years (been fixing it back up ) well when I was fixing a hole in the floor I seen some thing shine in the vent and there it was a this nice little revolver so I call my cop buddy had him run the number was not hot so I get a new gun looked it over says 32 long colt on barrel but I think some one has changed the cylinder on due to it only will take a 32 auto round nice little gun but can't find much on it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Are you sure it says "32 LONG COLT" and not 32 LONG CTG? (i.e. .32 S&W Long. Different that the Colt.)
Other than that marking it is a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Model of 1903 (no change) Made from 1903-1904 in a serial range of 1-19425.
The tell is the pinned front sight. The later models had solid forged front service sights. All had models with Target sights were pinned but had an adjustable rear sight.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Appears to me to be a S&W Hand Ejector 3rd change
32 S&W Long

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That gun was made for 32 S&W Long and nothing else. If it won't take 32 S&W Long, there is something wrong with it, like built up dirt or rust.

It is probably solid enough to use 32 Auto, but no one will recommend it - firing, accuracy, and extraction of empty shells will all be iffy.

It needs work to worth much, but the increase in value might be less than the cost of the work. It might be less than the cost of buying a new gun, but 32 S&W Long ammo is usually expensive. (I like it, though - it has more punch than 22 rimfire, but very mild recoil and noise.)

One last note - pretty much any current-day J-frame S&W grips will fit your gun. The original grips on it are hard rubber, and may be somewhat brittle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts