The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 357 Magnum The serial number is D709720. There are no other numbers anywhere on this gun, so I am guessing it is a pre 1957 model. Can anywone tell me when it was made and possible the value, The gun is in very good condition and everythin is nice and tight. Thanks in advance
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas Tints and shades Font Office equipment Metal

I have a S&W 357 Magnum The serial number is D709720. There are no other numbers anywhere on this gun, so I am guessing it is a pre 1957 model. Can anywone tell me when it was made and possible the value, The gun is in very good condition and everythin is nice and tight. Thanks in advance I guess I did not look close enough on the hinge for the cylinder is marked 41861 under that is a 10 and some other markes I cannot make out. View attachment 282673 View attachment 282674
I guess I did not look close enough on the hinge for the cylinder is marked 41861 under that is a 10 and some other markes I cannot make out. looks like an up side down 51 or 15. View attachment 282673 View attachment 282674

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess I did not look close enough on the hinge for the cylinder is marked 41861 under that is a 10 and some other markes I cannot make out. looks like an up side down 51 or 15. View attachment 282673 View attachment 282674

Might be a Friday afternoon gun? These things were known to happened. After the guys got their paychecks, and had a liquid lunch. Picked up a Model 10 frame by mistake, and installed a 357 barrel and cylinder. Meant for a Model 13.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Is that a wide target hammer and trigger? If so, it doesn't belong on a 10 or a 13 - I think. Also, the bluing seems different from the frame to the barrel and cylinder. I wonder if this is really a 10 someone transformed into a magnum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The photo above (comment #4) appears to be of the yoke, which is the arm that swings out from the frame, and carries the cylinder. The numbers are "assembly" and inspection marks. During 1958 and ever after S&W began to stamp the model number on the frame, on the left side, in the "yoke cut", which is the recess into which the yoke assembly closes. Adjustable sight revolvers will have the serial number stamped there as well, but fixed-sight guns of that era carry the serial number only on the butt. So my question remains, is there a number stamped on the frame in the yoke cut? (it could be either two digits, or two digits followed by a dash and an additional single digit).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The photo above (comment #4) appears to be of the yoke, which is the arm that swings out from the frame, and carries the cylinder. The numbers are "assembly" and inspection marks. During 1958 and ever after S&W began to stamp the model number on the frame, on the left side, in the "yoke cut", which is the recess into which the yoke assembly closes. Adjustable sight revolvers will have the serial number stamped there as well, but fixed-sight guns of that era carry the serial number only on the butt. So my question remains, is there a number stamped on the frame in the yoke cut? (it could be either two digits, or two digits followed by a dash and an additional single digit).
Thank you I finally found it

Wood Rectangle Material property Font Hardwood

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK, this could get interesting. The caliber should be marked on the barrel, probably the right side. Model 10's were all .38 Special - except. The short barrel butt on your pistol, combined with a wider hammer and trigger, are giving me a funny feeling. If the barrel says ".357" it COULD be one of several thousand made for the New York State Police. But they were supposedly all done in 1972. If the barrel does not say .357, why do you say your gun is thusly chambered?

·
Registered
18,265 Posts
Something to consider. Just because the barrel now says it's 357 does not mean it originally said 357. I have a model 28. Originally it was a 357. It has been rechambered to 38/40. The Smith filled the chamber marking by TIGing it, and then engraved a new chamber marking. My barrel now says it is chambered in 38 WCF.

So the possibility exists that this Model 10 was rechambered to 357, and the barrel re-marked.

But if it was mine, I would call Smith and Wesson and see if they would tell you whether or not it was one of the New York 357s, and if it is I would pay the $100 to get a letter from them saying so. That should increase the value of the gun.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Here's what Supica and Nahas S&W book says about the .357 variation:
• New York State Police: In 1972 several thousand were chambered in .357 Magnum for the N.Y.S.P. with 4” heavy barrel with pinned barrel. Predecessor to the Model 13 with a counterbored cylinder measuring 1.67” in length with a somewhat flattened top strap and a sandblast blue finish. This variation is fitted with a smooth .400” combat trigger and .375” checked hammer. Fitted with plainclothes grips. Notched front sight, frame marked 10-6, “.357 Magnum” on the barrel. No known police markings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Something to consider. Just because the barrel now says it's 357 does not mean it originally said 357. I have a model 28. Originally it was a 357. It has been rechambered to 38/40. The Smith filled the chamber marking by TIGing it, and then engraved a new chamber marking. My barrel now says it is chambered in 38 WCF.

So the possibility exists that this Model 10 was rechambered to 357, and the barrel re-marked.

But if it was mine, I would call Smith and Wesson and see if they would tell you whether or not it was one of the New York 357s, and if it is I would pay the $100 to get a letter from them saying so. That should increase the value of the gun.
Right, good point, Alpo, but then it would also have to have had a new cylinder fitted.

Here's what Supica and Nahas S&W book says about the .357 variation:
• New York State Police: In 1972 several thousand were chambered in .357 Magnum for the N.Y.S.P. with 4” heavy barrel with pinned barrel. Predecessor to the Model 13 with a counterbored cylinder measuring 1.67” in length with a somewhat flattened top strap and a sandblast blue finish. This variation is fitted with a smooth .400” combat trigger and .375” checked hammer. Fitted with plainclothes grips. Notched front sight, frame marked 10-6, “.357 Magnum” on the barrel. No known police markings.
Thank you for posting that, C3Shooter, I didn't have the energy. So, gmauctions, next step is to examine and measure the cylinder. How long is it? (looking for 1.67", hopa, hopa, hopa); is it recessed; that means are the rims of the cartridges surrounded by steel, or are the rims exposed? Cross your fingers and start the drum roll.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Does yours have the smooth trigger? I can't tell from the photo. The edge looks a bit sharp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, good point, Alpo, but then it would also have to have had a new cylinder fitted.

Thank you for posting that, C3Shooter, I didn't have the energy. So, gmauctions, next step is to examine and measure the cylinder. How long is it? (looking for 1.67", hopa, hopa, hopa); is it recessed; that means are the rims of the cartridges surrounded by steel, or are the rims exposed? Cross your fingers and start the drum roll.
The cylinder is 1.67 inches. Photo attached of recessed cylinder.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, OK then. Looks to me like your gun could be associated with the NYSP contract. Perhaps a short follow-on to that contract, or a parts clean-up. Pretty cool either way. Might wanna head over to the S&W Forum. Those boys are the pros in such matters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts