S&W 910 Feeding Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

kmshaffer
    (2/16/03 10:59:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Getting stuck
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The slide on my 9mm semi auto seems to jam when loading the first round, and occasionally a round afterwards. it seems that the outer casing of the ammo is catching on the rim of the barrel, but I am fully not sure. Any thoughts... of advice on hwo to get it functioning correctly... it was just purchased about 3 weeks ago for PA Police training.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 11:26:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Getting stuck
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Type of pistol and the "exact" way you are chambering the first round.......and are these two rounds-the ones used ejected then reloaded in the magazine.....as in when you clear your pistol???

LTS

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/17/03 6:43:56 am)
    Also, what kind of ammo are you using ?

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/17/03 8:21:19 am)
    FWIW, I have the same problem with my Walther P38/P1. There is no way to chamber the first round quietly or gently. You have to pull that slide back and let it slam the first round in place. Otherwise, it hangs up.

I'm using Winchester WinClean.

Is this the same type of problem you're having?
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/17/03 8:40:11 am)
    Hi kmshaffer.....welcome to TFF.

Yeah, please give as complete description of your problem as you can.

kmshaffer
    (2/17/03 11:43:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del thanks
    It is a Smith and Wesson 910 TDA... I load the a magazine, usually with 5 rounds, and inserty the magazine as usual. Pull the slide back and release, the slide then gets stuck with the tip of the ammo in the barrel but the caseing is still visble. Usually ive been using some cheap ammo by ultramax 125 grain lead round tip. after it gets stuck i can pull the slide out and after baout 3 or mroe times it will enter the barrel. I am jsut concerned cause i need to to be a bit quicker for the academy. thnaks for the suggestions.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/17/03 12:11:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: thanks
    Try another magazine.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/17/03 1:07:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: thanks
    I'm not familar with that specific pistol, but I did see this once with a friend's P85. In his case, the extractor was not slipping into the groove. It was gunked up and was too stiff to snap over the rim. A _good_ cleaning in the ultrasonic tank and lubrication solved that one.

Does the cartridge extract when you work the slide the second time?

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

kmshaffer
    (2/17/03 1:22:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:
    Yeah the cartridge extracts, i haven';t had any problems there. And I have checked before to make sure that the extrator was in the grove and it has been all along. thats something i thought of, but it failed to produce any results... but a good idea to check it... thanks

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/17/03 2:47:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:
    Soft lead bullets seem to have a tendency to hang up on the feed ramps of semi-autos quite frequently. Try some round nosed full jacketed ammo and see if this doesn't clear up the problem. Also, be sure when you seat the ammo in the magazines to assure they are loaded fully to the rear of the mag and that nothing is binding. Whatever the capacity of the mag is, be sure to leave out a couple so that the spring and follower aren't jamming the cases up too tight into the lips. Need a little bit of play, there.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

kmshaffer
    (2/17/03 3:35:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del RE:
    Thats was what i thought could be the problem, i will try that and i think it should clear the problem up as well. Thanks a ton.

fredarmory
    (2/17/03 9:34:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE:
    Besides changing magazines, here's a trick, take just the magazine in your hand, with one spent shell casing placed in it,
    place your thumb behind the shell and slowly push it out, observing the angle and height from the mag follower, (underneith) it.
    If the magazine ears are to far apart the shell will raise its head, if they are to close together the shell will pitch down ward, the trick is to find the "happy medium".
    One other problem is trying to put to many rd.s in some mags, those
    made for fifteen may actually hold sixteen, likewise, some made for eight may hold nine, don't force the spring in the mag to accept more if the last rd. seemed like there really wasn't room for it.
    Don't experiment with live ammo either!!

1badassmagnum
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/18/03 9:25:44 pm)
    I find snapping the slide shut works better than trying to baby it closed.timing of certain pistols require the slide to snap closed.if it cycles fine after the first round I think you can safely say its not the action of the pistol.

whiskey101
    (2/20/03 6:48:11 pm)
    Check your feedramp for burrs.

Check with FMJ ball ammo.

Change Magazines and/or add new mag springs.

Use the slide release to release the slide, instead of pulling it back and letting it go.

***** NOTE: The above statement is my opinion; please feel free to share it. However, it is not meant as a required replacement for your opinion. If you do not agree with my opinion, form your own. *****

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

kmshaffer
    (2/20/03 10:41:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del thanks
    Thanks. I have alwyas let the slide do it's own thing, so that I was unable to change. Also I checked the mags and they seemed pretty fine. A difference was made by using full metal jacketed ammo instead of lead point. Thanks for all the help.