Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

S&W Double-Action .38 4th Change

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

sig230
    (12/9/02 1:36:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All While waiting on the New Service
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How about a S&W DA 38 Change 4. Very tight, working great, some wear and a few freckles. Bore and chambers look great.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/9/02 5:37:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: While waiting on the New Service
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another pretty one, Sig.

Unfortunately, our resident expert on values is absent right now. He (Antique Dr.) and another member (Blackgun) have just opened two new gunstores in Texas.....and they're busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest.

In searching the 'net, the closest thing I came to yours was a 5th model .32: www.sarcoinc.com/p115.html but that value looks pretty low to me.

Keep checking back....they're bound to stagger in sooner or later.

Worse comes to worse, I've got the latest Bluebook and the Official Price Guide to Antique & Modern Firearms on Santa's sleigh (I hope)......so after Christmas I'll be an expert on values.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/11/02 8:37:40 am)
    So....while we're waiting....

Your Smitty 4th Model was made between 1895-1909, with a total run of 216,300 (ser. # 322701-539000) the most of the 6 38 DA models. It was made with 3 1/4", 4", 5", and 6" barrels, which bore the patent dates of 1880, 1882, & 1889.

"The Fourth Model was an improvement over the Third Model in its reduced trigger pull and by a new sear, and subsequent changes internally to the hammer. The Second, Third, and Fourth Model 38 Double Action revolvers represent three of the largest production runs of S&W firearms in the 19th and early 20th centuries."....Flayderman

As Bob said, it was also widely copied in Europe (especially Spain).

And........it's a neat toy to have!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/11/02 8:44:13 am)
    The Spanish copies often have "Secret Service Special" or misspelled "Secret Servise Special" on the barrel. I have them in both 32 and 38 S&W calibers. The 32 cal. pistols are cute little pocket pieces.

The Spanish pieces go $50 to $100, and I have seen the actual S&W pieces go $175 to $300 at gun shows. The $300 ones were pristine pieces.