Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

S&W model 18 .22LR/.22 mag info & value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by orion340, Jun 24, 2018.

1. orion340

orion340 Well-Known Member

Hello all;
    Just took in a S&W model 18? .22 LR with an extra .22 mag cylinder. Serial number K 294076. Tried calling S&W & looking for a chart of S&W manufacture dates but can't seem to get any answers. I'd like to know the manufacture date, correct model number, if the extra .22 mag cylinder was issued with this revolver & approx. value. Pics enclosed. Also, someone tried to cold blue the .22LR cylinder which didn't turn out very well so I'm thinking of reblueing it to match the original S&W blue. Thank you all for your time & expertise.
    Frank View attachment 145896 View attachment 145898

Attached Files:

shootbrownelk and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know if Smith ever made a dual cylinder gun other the 22 Jet / 22 LR. There is a bore difference between the 22 LR and the 22 Magnum. There is no chart for S&W date of manufacture. The bone grips are an addition. Original grips are easy to find and they usually fit perfectly.

orion340 and Kweeksdraw like this.

3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

K294076 was manufatured in 1957. K frame serials for that year ran K288989 to K317822.

goofy and orion340 like this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

K294076 was made in 1957. That year they made #s 288 thousand to 317 thousand. Basically 30,000 guns - average 2500 a month. Yours being about 6000 into the run, I SWAG it as late February to early April.

While model numbers appeared in 1957, it was close to the end of the year.

It is a K22 Combat Masterpiece. Usually known as a "pre-Model 18".

I seriously doubt it came from the factory with a magnum cylinder. But back then they would do things like "fit a magnum cylinder to my long rifle". All it took was money.

goofy, shootbrownelk and orion340 like this.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Curses!:mad: He beat me to it. :p

6. orion340

Thank you all for the great info. Saved me a lot more time looking elsewhere with no results. As to a value, anybody think this S&W (after I reblue the cylinder) would be in the $400+ range?
    All the best,
    Frank

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For what it's worth, I browsed several gun auction sites looking for a "pre-Model 18" Smith .22 Combat Masterpiece, and found minty examples between $800 and $1200. Bear in mind these were virtually unfired revolvers. As far as refinishing goes I'd strongly recommend having S&W handle that aspect. You'll have yourself a factory serviced revolver returned to you in a factory box. As I'm thinking of it, check on the prices of bone grips - you may be pleasantly surprised.

goofy and orion340 like this.
  8. orion340

Thank you for the info nmckenzie. I did look up bone grip prices & I was a bit surprised. Even saw a few made from Giraffe bone which were pretty pricey. I used to make knife handles from giraffe bone.
    All the best,
    Frank

nmckenzie likes this.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If the revolver is in other wise good condition, with an extra cylinder, ( does it have ance an extra crane , on special order S&W would fit a com;oet crane and cylinder assy. even with just an extra cylinder I don't think you do much wrong asking 600.

jmace57 and orion340 like this.
  10. Jtown

Jtown New Member

$400 sounds like a bargain

Walt

11. orion340

Hi Walt. Yes, $400 would be a bargain but I decided to keep this revolver. I already blued the cylinder & yoke to match the rest of it & it looks very good so I now have a very nice K22 Masterpiece.

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Technically, a "K22 Masterpiece" is a target pistol, with a 6" or longer barrel and a Patridge front sight.:cool:

With that 4" barrel and the ramp front sight, that's a "K22 COMBAT Masterpiece". :p:p;)

13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The grips aren't bone. They are stag-deer antler.
    Never could figure out why people can't tell the difference. Stag has "bark" or surface texture. Bone doesn't- unless it has been "jigged" to look like stag. This is usually only done on pocketknives.

orion340 likes this.