The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up som ammo and I am not sure if its safe for my Model 39-2. Its Double Tap 9mm 77gr DT Lead Free and I am not sure if it will damage my gun. Anyone able to help me out?

Attachments

·
GUNZILLA
6,456 Posts
The M39-2 were made from 1970 through 1982. Those rounds will be safe to shoot, the question I have is will it cycle the action, they seem very light for a 9mm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know when your M39-2 was made?
Based off the serial number it must be from early to mid 70’s. It was my grandfathers gun and I want to make sure i take good care of it.

The M39-2 were made from 1970 through 1982. Those rounds will be safe to shoot, the question I have is will it cycle the action, they seem very light for a 9mm.
that was my thought. Im more concerned about damaging the gun. Its a beautiful gun and in good shape. Prefer to keep it that way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Unless there's a pressing need to use that ammunition, I think I'd wait until other ammo is available. I don't know the advertised velocity for the ammo you mention, but I would THINK that the manufacturers have loaded it with the expectation that it will work in MOST 9mm pistols. It might not work in a Luger or a SMG, but you're not shooting them out of that.
MY concern is that, with lighter and lighter projectiles, it is more and more difficult to develop sufficient pressures to make locking mechanisms work, and the margin between "enough" & "TOO MUCH" gets narrower & narrower. Your M39-2 was made in an age which did not anticipate "Boutique" ammo, nor their idiosyncrasies. I think I wouldn't take the chance of cracking the frame of a nice old classic pistol with ammo of "spikey" pressure tendencies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless there's a pressing need to use that ammunition, I think I'd wait until other ammo is available. I don't know the advertised velocity for the ammo you mention, but I would THINK that the manufacturers have loaded it with the expectation that it will work in MOST 9mm pistols. It might not work in a Luger or a SMG, but you're not shooting them out of that.
MY concern is that, with lighter and lighter projectiles, it is more and more difficult to develop sufficient pressures to make locking mechanisms work, and the margin between "enough" & "TOO MUCH" gets narrower & narrower. Your M39-2 was made in an age which did not anticipate "Boutique" ammo, nor their idiosyncrasies. I think I wouldn't take the chance of cracking the frame of a nice old classic pistol with ammo of "spikey" pressure tendencies.
thank you very much for the info! I appreciate you taking time to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts