S & W Model 422

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by huntbuck4570, Apr 5, 2009.

1. huntbuck4570

huntbuck4570 New Member

Just bought Smith & Wesson 22lr model 422. Took it out for the first time today. Used Remington 22lr 36 grain hollow points. Had several jams. Anyone
    have any idea why?

Thanks

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Was the pistol new or used ?

Did you give it a good cleaning before shooting ?

3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I've heard that some of the 422s are kind of fussy. I don't have much trouble with mine since I started using CCI .22s. For some reason, it hated Remington Thunderbolts, but seems fine with everything else. I am using up the Thunderbolts in my revolver and they work fine. Must be the shape or some other tiny detail, I can't figure it out.

I adore my 422, which was gently used when I bought it.

4. huntbuck4570

huntbuck4570 New Member

Thank you for the response. I bought this pistol about 2 weeks ago for $250. Condition
    is very good to excellent. I'm not sure if the original owner ever gave it a cleaning. This
    I will do. Your choice of going to the CCI's sounds like a good idea.
    I will try some of those and use the Remingtons in my rifle.

5. rich1866

rich1866 New Member

cci is the only thing i've shot never any problems

6. rich1866

rich1866 New Member

have tech question ? new to the forum. i inherited a model 422 with no clip and went out and picked up a new s&w replacement, problem is enless i loosen the screws on either side of the grips the clips will not fit....what am i doing wrong ?

7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Yep, using Remington Rimfire ammo is usually the first thing that went wrong.
    Inconsistant as all heck...
    Short powder loads, no powder loads, spotty primer, no primer, bad crimp...the list goes on...

just to rule out other things...Clean it. Test the rails & slide with a cotton ball for burrs...it'll be obvious.
    When you oil it, use only ONE DROP applied with a fingertip all over the action...
    If you get oil into the barrel chamber, get it ALL out...dry patches until no longer getting them wet...
    Oil + Heat + Pressure = Glue...

8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The magazines may be just a little on the high side of the specs. I've had a few autos that if the grips screws are tightened too tight the magazine will drag. A few careful strokes on the bottom of the screws, on a sheet of 400 grit paper should fix the problem.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. B27

B27 New Member

Another vote for CCI Mini-Mags.

.22 semiauto rimfires are nototriously ammo sensitive.

First you have to find what ammo the gun runs well with...then you have to hope it is also accurate with that ammo. :D