S & W P 59

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Joker 71, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Joker 71

Joker 71 New Member

HI. I'm new to this forum and joined cause i was given a S & W P59 first generation and i'f bin reading up on it and found people mentioning having problems with the feeding of hollow points. Has anyone maybe found this to happen?

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

a model 59 9mm will feed and shot hollow points just fine just be sure to use the improved magazines not sure ( don't remember) what color the plastic followers are. but they improved the magazine follower design and denoted the change by changeing color of the follower. oh and no p before the model number with smith and wesson

3. Joker 71

Joker 71 New Member

Thanks Oscar. Do you maybe know where i could look for those new magazines?

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Model 59 and 39 are the basis for the Model 52, a 1960's Bullseye gun that shoots mid-level 38 Special full wad cutters. If the Model 52 can feed wad cutters (the front of the bullet is the full 38 caliber, .357 inches, whereas the 9mm is .355 inches) then any Model 39 or 59 can be made to feed hollow points! If they don't out of the box then a good gunsmith can alter the ramp so that they will.

LDBennett