The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a S&W Pre-Victory s/n 8132XX. The photos below should give you a good idea of the condition. Would like to know the year of Manufacture and your best guess of the value. Thank you. Vinnie

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Ain't no pix on my screen.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I can see the pic looks like a 1905 4th change to me. Never heard of a "Pre-Victory"

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
They are either a Victory or the or not.

You have a an M&P Hand Ejector value (very little revised)
Revised

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Okay, the pix are there now. Wow.

Anyway - 38 S&W, Not British Made stamp, Birmingham proofs, appears to have been tied to the back of a car and dragged down the road a ways.

I've consistently said that a working S&W HE is worth at least 200, but I'd be hard pressed to pay that much for it. 150. Maybe.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Could you back off and give us a clear over all picture of the whole gun, both left and right side .What I'm seeing doesn't make any sense other than some one has been using it for a hammer.It seems to be chambered in 38 S&W ; The serial number on the butt looks as if it has been remarked { and badly } along with the stove bolts in the side plate, that poor gun has seen some hard times. Value? Sorry, I can't see more than 50 dollars in it for parts.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I didn't look at all the pics. I see now it was a Lend Lease. The Muzzle crown and front sight were used as a hammer. Plenty of wear every where. At least the diamond grips are worth something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Round these parts-in the 1960's- some of these handguns were "re-chambered" for 38 Special. The fired cases had a noticeable bulging toward the rear as the 38 S&W round is larger in diameter then 38 Special. Also, some of these guns showed up modified to .22 LR. These were truly lovely to behold-not. Others had the barrels chopped off crudely to make a "snub" of sorts. In those days all kids of butcher work was done by dealers to make these guns salable.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ah,would not even bother worrying about the value.Get some good .38 S&W ammo,dies,and other reloading stuff,even up to the 200 gr. Super Police bullets;and shoot that pup!Had one when I lived in New England a couple of decades ago,and with good loads,was an utter joy to shoot,and with semi wadcutter handloads would drop snowshoe hares at 25 yards every time.If it is in functioning shap,you have one of the best single action trigger pulls ever made,and the DA pull ain't bad either.Wouldn't do bad for a easy shooting nightstand gun either!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Some of these have been re-chambered to British .38/200

·
Registered
208 Posts
If re chambered to .38-200,they usually are so marked.Can still use .38 S&W but the case life drops.Would load with HBWC for the best accuracy in either.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The lend-lease Smiths were chambered in 38 S&W. There was no "Rechambering" to 38-200 as that was just a British loading of the regular 38 S&W with a 200 gr bullet. As said earlier many of these guns were rechambered when sold on the commercial market, but it was to .38 Special.

A common terminology for the lend-lease guns is "Pre-Victory" as they were fulfilling contracts prior to the "V" series introduction. They are basically the same gun. The earlier series ran out of serial number at 999,999 and instead of continuing on, the prefix "V" was used. The main difference was the finish.
All of the commercial proofs indicate that the gun was surplused and released to a commercial dealer. British Law requires that any firearm sold commercially be proofed, so........
This one appears to still be in the original 38S&W as the "rechambering" to .38 Special involved running a ream into the chambers to remove the step and allowing the longer casing to fit. The problem with this is the difference in head diameters as mentioned. The Special will work, but the cases will expand and sometimes split.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
The pistol is in very poor condition. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's scuffed up a lttle in places, but there is blue remaining, and at the gun shows I go to, if the bore is passable, I believe someone would snap it up for $200. Maybe $250 in today's frantic market...Like someone above said, would make a great shooter or nightstand gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts