The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure which model this is.
It's a Smith And Wesson tip-up I think model 1 2nd issue. It has the markings on the top of the barrel.
.22 7 shot S/N 85587.
Mike
I really have to learn how to take pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does have the dates on the cylinder.
Thanks hrf:D
Mike

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Mike - you're doing fine with pictures :) Interesting little pistol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike,
Besides the serial number range, the S&W Model Number One, 1st Issue has a frame with rounded sides and a small circular side plate located on the left side. There are 6 types (variations) to the Number One, 1st Issue.
1st type, serial numbers 1-213
2nd type, serial numbers 213-1130
3rd type, serial numbers 1130-3000
4th type, serial numbers 3000-4200
5th type, serial numbers 4200-5500
6th type, serial numbers, 5500-11671

Model Number One, 2nd Issue serial numbers 11672-126361, has a flat sided frame and a larger irregularly shaped side plate on the left side.
Shown for comparison, is a Model One, 1st Issue, 6th type and a Model Number One, 2nd Issue.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Spotted a No1 2nd issue in our local gun shop a couple of years back. It's in the 20,800 range, which I think dates it to 1861, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Bert the gun shop owner was out that day, and the lady he left in charge was VERY by the book - actually there's nothing wrong with that, so I had to fill out a 4473 and go through the NICS check before she'd turn it loose. Seemed kinda pointless, but I wasn't leaving the shop without it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
rhmc24,
The 2nd & 3rd one pictured in your post are Model Number One, 3rd Issues, manufactured 1868-1881.
The interesting one (to me), that you have, is the bottom one. It is a Model One, 2nd Issue full plate nickel, and appears to have the rare "straight side plate". The early production ones have a straight line rather than a curved line at the top rear of the side plate. According to the Standard Catalog of S&W by Supica & Nahas, it may be triple the value of the ones with the curved line at the top rear corner of the side plate.
The other two Model One's, 2nd Issue, clearly have the curved line at the top rear corner of the side plate. I'm not sure if it is the lighting, but the bottom one looks like a straight line in the photo. If so. a very nice find!
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts