The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the beads in my dessicant can in my safe were completely dark green (definitely not ‘3-6 months!’) so I read the instructions on the box, “remove lid, place can in oven, set at 250, don’t pre-heat, leave in oven 3-5 hours until beads are all light orange...no problem so far...

Until about 2 hours in, I decide to check progress, can is kinda hot so I grab a towel...and proceed to dump about 1/4 of the can all over the oven and a bunch spills on the floor😡

Now besides a p***ed off wife😔 I now have to clean up all these little hard beads. You can’t sweep them they roll forever! So I’m on my hands and knees picking them up one by one off the floor. Then in the oven, can’t use a small dust pan, they roll back out if any incline in the pan! And of course my wife had a double oven and it’s the bottom one so like 10 minutes in my knees and back are killing me. 😡

I finally fashion a kind of a pan out of an old license plate, with a small brush I could sweep some on and they would be retained in the detente of the numbers on the back side...along with the burnt caramelized sugar that dripped off the cinnamon rolls yesterday morning...🤨

Well the good news is it all recharged and is back in the safe, but I read somewhere you can dump the beads on a cookie sheet and it works better.

Either way, trust me...put a large cookie sheet under the can no matter how you do it!😎

I wonder if burnt sugar acts as a desiccant too?🤔

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
The one I bought a few weeks ago just says to put in the oven and recharge at 300 degrees for three hours. It does not have any way to "open" it without prying the lid off.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the $19.99 ones at Rural King come in two types, but both work the same just different colors. I don’t know which work best.

Mine is a little smaller than a quart sized perforated can with a screw on bottle cap which has a plastic “window” so you can see the color inside. I guess they say to remove the cover so that plastic film doesn’t melt.
My beads are light orange when dry and turn dark green when fully wet. You bake them and it dries them out again and it’s supposed to last indefinitely. I’m not sure what they are made of. I hope if I missed any in the oven they aren’t toxic when cooked😳

·
Premium Member
8,154 Posts
I use Damp-Rid desiccant kits in my Gun safe When the Crystals are Dissolved I dump the water out, Dry the container and add new crystals then it is back in the safe. each charge of crystals last about 6 months. The kits with a bag of refill crystals cost less than $8 at wally world. It lasts more than 2 years. And that is here at the beach where the humidity is high year round.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
For about that same $20.00 you could buy a Goldenrod or other safe heater and never have to fool with dessicants. The Goldenrod in my first Fort Knox safe has been merrily keeping my rifles rust free for 27 years for less than $10.00 a year in electricity cost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine you just plug in and let it sit overnight and good to go in the morning. Little late now but I would have just used a piece of tape to pick them up..

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I think the proper term would be "re activate"?? Don't use them myself but I do have a couple of jars full that I have collected over the years. When used up, just spread them out on a cookie sheet and heat to remove any moisture.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I always felt “recharging” wasn’t quite the word but it is what the instructions call it... I don’t have a hole (that I have found anyway) to run a cord, plus I’ve heard mixed reviews on the goldenrods just like the different cordless or desiccant cans. Mine seems to work, the jury is out on the definition of “indefinitely”. Lol. They sure missed the “3-6 months,” it was more like “3-6 weeks.”

The tape would’ve worked, I never thought of it, thanks!

But the cookie sheet under it is the key; if yours CAN dump out it probably WILL someday...😎

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Mixed reviews on Goldenrods? Hmmm, all I ever heard was praise. For the first 12 years I owned the Fort Knox safe it sat in the basement of our house on the farm and that basement leaked like a sieve. After a hard rain up to 2 inches of water in the basement. The safe set in one of the high spots so it was never actually in water, just surrounded by it for 2-3 days. None of my firearms ever rusted, not even muzzleloaders.

When I bought the Liberty safe a couple years ago it didn't have a hole either but, I do own a drill and skads of good bits. It has a hole for the cord now That little 18-2 or 16-2 lamp cord doesn't require much of a hole and the heaters only pull like 9 watts.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,677 Posts
I now have to clean up all these little hard beads.
Vacuum cleaner?

I didn't either. But mine are just the cheap ones i save from shipping items.
My beads are light orange when dry and turn dark green when fully wet. You bake them and it dries them out again and it’s supposed to last indefinitely. I’m not sure what they are made of. I hope if I missed any in the oven they aren’t toxic when cooked
The beads are silica gel, with a moisture indicator. We used them in the lab in special desiccator containers. From time to time we would empty the desiccant and place it into a hot oven overnight to rejuvenate it. We used to use gel with blue indicator that turned pink until the EU decided the indicator could be toxic. We switched to the orange indicator that turns green when saturated.

Once in a long while we would break out new silica gel.

Here's a little about the gels.

You can buy it by the gallon jug on ebay, or from other sources.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can buy it by the gallon jug on ebay, or from other sources.
Just checked, $16.99/qt on EBay, free shipping! They have blue or orange. Nice to know, next time I dump the can I WILL get out the Dirt Devil😉

·
Premium Member
8,154 Posts
For about that same $20.00 you could buy a Goldenrod or other safe heater and never have to fool with dessicants. The Goldenrod in my first Fort Knox safe has been merrily keeping my rifles rust free for 27 years for less than $10.00 a year in electricity cost.
My safe is more of a Gun Locker with a Combination locked door, I would have to drill a hole in it for a power cord then run an extension cord out of the Walk-in closet through the Bathroom and half way across the bedroom Wife says it ain't gonna happin!

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I decided to check tonight, I haven’t been in the safe in a week. Saw some disturbing new spots on the tRusty ‘97, so I checked the dessicant can and it’s dark green again. 17 days since I dried them last🤨. I put them on a cookie sheet this time but I may have to buy either another one or another set of beads to rotate them. Here’s what they look like.

I guess the good news is they are doing what they are supposed to be doing sucking up moisture but I must have more moisture in the garage than I thought...

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
I have my safe in the house and I am finding that I have to "recharge" my canister every 9 or 10 days, I didn't think my living room had that much moisture!! I am thinking seriously about buying one of the goldenrods and throwing the other stuff away (after testing with goldenrod in place)!

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the good news I guess is after about 90 minutes on the cookie sheet at 250 it’s pretty much orange again. I’ll just have to dry it out more often I guess.

Not hard to do as long as I don’t spill the little beads again😎

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
I'm glad I have my gunroom with hvac and a dehumidifier. It rained all night last night until about 9 this morning. Humidity is about 30% in gunroom. Dehumidifier is set on 50%.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I buy units at the dollar store for.....You guessed it ....a buck. They last about a month in Texas and when I have 3/4” water in the bottom I change. If you do not like the dollar store you can get the same thing on eBay for about five bucks each. Between my neighbor and I we have eight safes to keep track of.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts