The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Colorado ,
I have a double barrel shotgun that my Grandfather gave me.
The gun is marked ----SPRINGFIELD
ARMS COMPANY
CHICOPEE FALLS MASS. USA
PAT APR 20 1915
The barrels are 30 inches long and marked PROOF TESTED 12 GAUGE
[The one barrel I can just fit a dime into--the other is smaller than a dime]
Is it OK to fire modern high brass shells in this gun ?
If 3 inch shells fit into the chamber ?????
I removed the stock and the trigger mechanism---springs--latches etc are all clean and look pretty good---the gun is not a rust bucket .
Mike

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I doubt the gun has 3" chambers-even if 3" shells fit. Don't do it!
It possibly has 2-1/2" chambers. You need to have it checked by a competent gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Hello from Colorado ,
I have a double barrel shotgun that my Grandfather gave me.
The gun is marked ----SPRINGFIELD
ARMS COMPANY
CHICOPEE FALLS MASS. USA
PAT APR 20 1915
The barrels are 30 inches long and marked PROOF TESTED 12 GAUGE
[The one barrel I can just fit a dime into--the other is smaller than a dime]
Is it OK to fire modern high brass shells in this gun ?
If 3 inch shells fit into the chamber ?????
I removed the stock and the trigger mechanism---springs--latches etc are all clean and look pretty good---the gun is not a rust bucket .
Mike
Welcome to the forum! Listen to Bill! Have a gun smith check it out, it won't cost much, if anything at all. Leave the 3" shells alone! The one barrel that is smaller than a dime is a full choke barrel, and the other is most probably a modified barrel. These are common fixed chokes for bird guns.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Shotgun shells are measured fired. So a three inch mag will fit a 2 3/4 chamber. The problem is when its fired the crimp opens up over the forcing cone raising chamber pressure drastically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I expected the answer would be to use caution when I did not see any proof marks--symbols etc. Just " proof tested 12 ga "
The 3 main components ie. Trigger hammer assy.--barrels--and the "forepiece" all have matching #s .T 70731 .
So at least it is not a Frankenstein gun .
At one time I collected and worked on pocket watches made in Mass. 1899-1920 .
Very interesting to see the gunsmith machine work from the exact same time !
Yes 3 inch shells drop right in but I Will FOLLOW THE ADVICE GIVEN
Thank you all,
Mike Higdon

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You should also find out if the barrels are damascus or if the chamber has a step instead of a forcing cone. If it was designed for blackpowder shells you could easily blow it up with smokeless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
modern nitro powder in a 2 3/4" shell produce 3 tonnes of pressure 3" produce 4 tonnes. If the barrels are not marked 2 3/4" then I wouldn't trust any markings at all.
Google proof marks. If it is proofed for nitro powders it will have a symbol on the block and barrels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an appointment with a gunsmith Monday
This research started with a closet clean out and now I have 5 or 6 more to check. 303 British----22 from Wards------
I hope I don't wear out my " welcome to the Forum " !!
PS
My uncle says Grandpa shot ducks with the double barrel up till 1960s

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
You are more than welcome here. The .303 if it's clean should be quite safe to fire using standard .303 rounds. The .22 shouldn't be a problem either. I suspect that the shotgun was probably not chambered for 3" shells but more likely for 2 3/4" shells. The best thing to do for getting the most accurate info from folks here who know the answers are to upload good pictures of the pieces you are looking for information about.

Besides, we all like to see pictures of family heirlooms and interesting guns anyway :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the shotgun checked by a gunsmith and he gave the OK to use 2/34 shot shells.
After a complete clean and oil I fired the gun a few times and it is working great.
thanks to all for the advice !
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts