The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to the channel and wasn't sure where to post the question. I live in a more rural area and so I have set up an outdoor range. I am wondering how far back should I stand when shooting at steel targets? I know some should be angled so the bullets will deflect downward into the ground. Also I won't shoot at anything made of glass. Except for maybe the uparmored stuff. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm sure others will respond but I believe it's recommended 100 yards for rifle over .22 &
10 yds for pistol. That said I have targets at 50, 90 100 + and then closer for pistols.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Any steel target that has been cratered with high velocity rifle bullets can deflect back bullet fragments shot with lower velocity handgun bullets.

Depending on what you shot be it (I.E.) 9mm, 357, 44 magnum for handgun or 223, 308, or bigger, the steel targets should be of AR-450/500/550, with 550 being the hardest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. Handgun calibers would be 9x18 (Makarov). Rifles would be a Serbian SKS and a Romanian AK platform. I'm not planning on shooting a 50 cal at the steel though.

·
Super Moderator
42,734 Posts
At the range I belong to, you are not allowed to shoot at steel unless you are a minimum of 30 yards back, and that is on the pistol range. You cannot bring your own steel and the only rifle range "gong" is at the 400 yard line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts